Offline finboy

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Re: The ultimate tire and wheel guide thread!
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 07:29:54 am »
I love the 18x8 audi monoblocks offered on early a8's, they have a 48mm offset but I have some concerns. I can't find much on load rating, am unsure what an 8"wheel with that offset would do with eurovan suspension, and want to make sure rubbing/weight issues wouldn't pop up.

These type...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 07:34:43 am by finboy »

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 08:29:40 am »
I love the 18x8 audi monoblocks offered on early a8's, they have a 48mm offset but I have some concerns. I can't find much on load rating, am unsure what an 8"wheel with that offset would do with eurovan suspension, and want to make sure rubbing/weight issues wouldn't pop up.

These type...

The 8" wheel will clear at et42 so you will need a 5mm spacer. The Mercedes ML wheels I run on my blue van are 8" wide. The inside clearance is close, but works well.

An Audi A8 weighs quite a bit, carries 5 passengers and is expected to perform like a sports sedan. I wouldn't worry about load ratings. Audi doesn't skimp on their wheels. I'm sure every wheel they make is designed to far exceed the capacity of the car.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 08:32:53 am by Cole »
Cole

Offline Farther

• Rosie, the Corgi, is my copilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 11:59:22 am »
I have 225/70/16 BFG AT's on a set of 16" rims that came off of a late model Jetta.  Not sure what the ET is on them but I will look tonight and post.  They fit good with no problems upfront and only a small amount of rub on hard turns on the lower rear lip of the plastic bumper cover.  Just a little trim and it was all good.

Sorry not the best picks and the van is very dirty but I will snap some tonight that should show them a little better.
  Do you have any lift with this setup and if so, how much?  Did you ever determine the ET on those wheels and are they adequate for the load of a EVC?  How has the increased height effected performance? 

I am asking all these questions because I am looking at the Nokian WR G3 in the 225/70-16 (28.4") with a service rating of 107H for my next tire and maybe the GoWesty alloy wheels which have an ET of 38mm.  Although the Nokian WR G3 in 235/60-16 (27.1") and service rating of 104H would probably be a better choice and have been proven to fit with the GoWesty lift kit.  My current suspension is the Bilstein Sport shocks and only one rear left spring spacer to level the back and no change to the front torsion bars. 
Thanks,
~Farther

Offline Nemesisnight

• The Mountains Are Calling
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 02:54:07 pm »
Hello everyone,
I got a 2002 EuroVan (used to be a GLS).
I want to put on 17" wheels.
The commends I was reading sofar explained really well what I need to watch out for.
What are the best looking combination vs the best gravel road setting vs comfort on highways or faster turns???

I like low profile tires or at least lower than the standard tires used with a 16" rim.
As more pictures you guys post as easier it will be for me to pick 17" or 18".....

I have been happy with my 17'' Audi wheels, with 225/60 R17 tires and they fit almost perfect and had about 1mm rub on the back very edge of the bumper that is hardly noticable (mostly on the inner lip portion) and it rubbed enough clearance on their own. 

These are the tires I got if interested, been very happy so far and they surpass the load rating required for a full camper (can't say the same for the wheels) great all season tire: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?c=0&rcz=85295&ar=60&rf=true&rd=17&rc=AZEINT&cs=225&dVeh=dVeh&ra=searchForMostPopularTires.do&fl=&tc=NITRH6&yr=2013&pc=15265&vid=023402
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 02:59:37 pm by Nemesisnight »

Offline AngryScot

• van/bike camping gear junky
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 01:29:48 pm »
No snow around these parts but looking for a good standard highway tire on regular stock wheels. Any suggestions?
Seems the 15" with correct load rating is a tad hard to find. Perhaps I should bite the the bullet on a 16" or 17" wheel conversion assuming that that size has more available rubber with the correct load rating. Family van so I don't need 18's and low profile :D, but just some long wearing freeway rubber.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 05:30:03 pm by AngryScot »

Offline porschetrimr

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2015, 08:50:22 am »
Hi
Here are mine
BBS SR  17" x7.5 e.t 35mm
Tyres are 215/50/17
Load rated wheels and tyres for my weight camper

Van has factory sports suspension,although i have no idea what this actually entails,ive heard anything between a 15-30mm drop
but dont know for sure
I dont have any rubbing issues at all and the sliding door clears the wheel without a wedge

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:09:30 am by porschetrimr »

Offline porschetrimr

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2015, 11:09:14 am »
More fitment pics
No poke to speak of but with hindsight an et of 40 or 45 mm would have been better if i wanted to really slam it
Although im fancying lifting it and going with some more aggresive tyres

Offline AngryScot

• van/bike camping gear junky
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 07:59:43 pm »
those look nice porschetrimr!!

So first issue with the new to me 93 MV, there is a crack on on of the front wheel spokes. Glad I found it now rather then pushing the van far from home.
Going to stick the spare on for now.

I like the spare steel look (crazy I know), and it is cheap while I figure out what else might need $$. So was thinking of just going that route for new rims up to a 16 for more tire choices. Or is it better to go 17?
The local tire/wheel guys suggested a 16x6.5" wheel with ET41 (pacer 83b fwd black mods) wearing some Kumho Road Venture APT KL51 with 104 load rating. 235/60/r16 104h,
so will the 41 and 235 will be a tiny bit closer than the et42 suggest, but will that foul any suspension parts?

so many options, hard to land on a wheel size that will allow for the most rubber choices.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 08:31:13 pm by AngryScot »

Offline loganm200

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 01:03:24 pm »
You talked about ET 42 rims and being able to mount 255/45/18 with 18x8j rim .
I am going to look at 255/45/18 18x8.5 and offset of 43 Mercedes ... Alufelgen 5-Speichen-Design 8,5 x 18 Zoll ET43 sterlingsilber and see if they will fit? 
I have also checked on www.willtheyfit.com its saying 16.1mm closer than your 8.7mm to the strut and 22mm to your 16.7 poke.   i know these are 10th's of an inch closer and wider.  Do you know if I will have a problem with rubbing or sliding door clearance?
99 eurovan MV
Lance

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 01:19:08 pm »
Only one way to really know :o
Cole

wheel load rating
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 10:24:09 am »
i was wondering if they're were any suggestions on these wheels load ratings including full load capacity and or towing up to 3500 lbs. . in the links below i attached the manufacturers web page with suggested load ratings.the wheels are a bit "blingy" too me but its the closest style to AMG's i can find with the recommended size and fit. my eurovan is the vwt4 swb 7 passenger model minus the pop top. based on Cole's suggestions i was looking at the 18"x 8" x et42 wheels which are highlighted @ 1580lbs. load rating per wheel. i am welcome to any suggestions for retailers of AMG/AUDI wheels with the same measurements. what minimum wheel load rating should i be looking for? any info on what the 2001-2003 model year eurovan 5 spokes are rated at? that would be a good spectrum to gauge aftermarket wheels to.

http://www.kmcwheels.com/wheelSpecs/2010/12/6801/km775-rockstar-car

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BYQV1O/ref=ox_sc_imb_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 02:58:59 pm by VWEV 2002 »
VW4LYF

Offline kozmob

• Goin that way
    • View Profile
    • here I am on faceplant
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2016, 04:07:25 pm »
I have been happy with my 17'' Audi wheels, with 225/60 R17 tires and they fit almost perfect and had about 1mm rub on the back very edge of the bumper that is hardly noticable (mostly on the inner lip portion) and it rubbed enough clearance on their own. 

I've been considering bumping up from 15" to 17" wheels as well and 235/60 R17 tires. I'm trying to figure out the fit. I measure from my current 15" tires to the bumper and I get 1.5" to the rear bumper and 2.0" to the front. It looks like it would be less with more lift in the suspension. I'm wondering why yours had a close fit but mine looks like it won't fit. My questions: What year is your EVC? Is your suspension lifted? Was your wear spot in the front or rear?

I love the look of those Audi wheels.

Kozmo
99EVC

Offline erik.wahlstrom

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2016, 04:47:18 pm »
I'm looking at tires.  I'd like a little bit larger tire, but not so big as to have to trim the wheel wells.  I also don't want to replace the stock wheels if I can.Right now I'm looking at the Geolanders in 235/65/R16 or BFG AT KO2's in 215/65/R16. 

Two questions.  1) Anyone have comments about which is better? 2) If I need to put in spacers, can I get away with 0.75"? Or do I need 1.5"?  I'd prefer to avoid raising the van too high as I want to continue parking in a low garage.

Thanks.

Offline CousinSven

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2016, 01:27:44 am »
I did a lot of research here and just made my own tire purchase about 2 weeks ago.  I purchased a set of Nokian Entyres for my 2001 Eurovan, size 225 60 R16. They fit the stock 16" wheel, come with a 102H XL load rating, have a comfortable ride and are just as quiet at the Michelins they replaced.  They have a 75,000 mile warranty.  Best of all, they were $67 a corner on Amazon.com, and shipping is FREE for Prime members!

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2016, 08:46:17 am »
Wow! That's a good deal. I went to Amazon to buy a set and they are down to...... One tire. Just my luck.  ;D I'll keep an eye on them though!