Re: Interior Mods, Gadgets, or Additions
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 02:39:16 pm »
BTW - "global" THANK YOU  :D to everyone who finds my site useful - I keep forgetting to say that in posts.... I should just add it to my sig.....  ;D
95 EVC
1705.net
Thanks to everyone I forget to thank!

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 02:41:50 pm »
The fabric does seem quite high quality. What I don't like (and would attempt to remedy) is how fussy it is to keep out of the way of the latches when you are lowering it (westfalia designed this much better, at least on the EV Weekender), and how mildew stains are very difficult to remove. I *think* what happened to mine is that the tent was lowered wet one or more times, not allowed to dry, and mildew set in, staining the front of it pretty well.

Agreed - why there is no room in the front for the fabric is another "Winnebago mystery". I think that many "mildew" spots folks see in the front are actually grease from the latches...  :'( - I just think of all the spots as "travel badges".....  ;D
95 EVC
1705.net
Thanks to everyone I forget to thank!

Offline BobB

• Beach camping!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 04:37:06 pm »
I have added shelves, new LEDs, etc. but best mod has to be adding a Porti Potti.  Housed in nice simple cabinet, that is also (1) the step up to get up into the pop-top and (2)  a coffee table and (3) a seat.

Everyone has woken up at 3am, it's pouring rain, the campground is so dark you can't even see your feet, where's my flashlight, the critters outside are making strange noises, and you need to pee.  This is a wonderful investment.  My wife is very, very happy now.

2 photos attached.  Can post/send pdfs of construction drawings and more photos if wanted.  Porti Potti is Thetford 320P, and cabinet is made of 3/8" birch ply with clear coat.  Cushion made by my wife.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 05:17:06 pm by BobB »
BobB
'99 VW EVC

Offline BobB

• Beach camping!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 09:13:09 am »
Need help/advice/precedents

Has anyone here replaced the interior panel on the sliding door (with something other than the same panel) ?

My sliding door panel was just attached with one clip and one screw.  Yes, it made quite a racket.  Because it was so loose, it interfered with the door lock plunger in a way that when locking the EVC, the sliding door would not lock - not great for security.  So this morning I took the panel off.  Not one clip is still glued to the panel, most are missing BUT the door now locks.  The panel just looks old and I am not concerned about trying to keep the original "look".  Already I have removed the closet doors and installed nice baltic birch shelves with a curtain.  May replace front panel on fridge to the birch, too.

Overall everything looks quite clean, so I am thinking of adding sound deadening insulation and then a nice baltic birch ply inset panel, maybe with some storage in it - there's lots of space in that door.

Has anyone done something similar or has photos of a similar project by others?  Any and all help appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:26:39 pm by BobB »
BobB
'99 VW EVC

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 03:15:08 am »
I like the idea of more storage in the door! More storage is always good  :)

Also the porta potty would be a real hit with my GF!  More projects... :-\ 
Dan
'Millie', a '95 EVC

Offline BobB

• Beach camping!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 09:14:44 am »
Sliding Door Replacement Panel Project - 1

Well, have taken the first step in replacing the sliding door panel - removal of old (original EVC) panel.  Old panel was held on with only one screw and maybe 2 internal clips.  No wonder the thing made some much noise.  Came off in about 10 seconds.  Inside all the clips were no longer attached, glue just dried up.  Pro of having a Florida EVC is no rust; the con is the sun really beats up the interior.    Also removed all the sliding door trim, which was cracked, missing pieces, etc. Someone in the past installed a window shade by screwing attachment bracket in through the trim into the metal of the door. Screwed it in so much, it cracked all the trim.  FYI - I knew all this when I bought my EVC; just now getting around to dealing with it.

Actually I like the cleaner look of the painted metal.  (photo). VW later went with this look in their T5's.

Did some research for storage in the panel and came across aftermarket panels, but only for T5's.  (photo) I will probably just do plain panel, but it will allow removal at later date if I want to add storage.

I have figured out (at least I will try it) how to attach the new baltic birch ply panel, so it can be removed at a later date. There are 20 predrilled holes in the door, each 5/16"/8mm in diameter. Was thinking of Rivnuts, but that seems overkill (just a panel, not cabinets) , so I am going to try "well nuts" used in boat building.  (photo) Come in 8-32 5/16"/8mm size and will use stainless socket screws.  Advantage is they have built in neoprene washer (between panel and door metal) which will alleviate any vibration noises when the panel is attached. Also do not need special tool to install well nuts.

Tricky part is that the holes in the panel need to be drilled exactly in the location to line up with the installed well nuts.  So that requires a very accurate template.  I started the tempting process yesterday. More on that later.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 09:17:13 am by BobB »
BobB
'99 VW EVC

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 05:04:31 pm »
Template shouldn't be too hard…just tape a piece of butcher paper tightly over the door and do a rubbing to show the holes.   I like the pic of the door with the cubbies!  That will be a nice addition!
Dan
'Millie', a '95 EVC

Offline BobB

• Beach camping!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 06:04:20 pm »
No cubbies for now; just going to do the panel.

Did not use butcher paper, used drafting mylar (I can see through it, too), because it is stiffer.  Not as easy as it all looks.  First panel is about 31" x 44", so anything flops around a lot, constantly moving, even after you tape it to the door.  Remember, the door is still on the van; gravity has this way of making things droop, fall off, etc.   ;)   You place one piece of tape while the other end of the mylar is coming off.  One person, only 2 hands. You use a lot of tape (I use painters tape).  Second, panel is concave - slightly, but enough to make it a PITA.   Third, you have to work around the big rubber bumper on the forward side of door, part of the panel slides under that.  Fourth, there are about 20 large holes for the connections; between marking the holes and the paper shifting/moving/buckling a bit due to the concavity, the locations are not that exact.  Screw up the template and you screw up the panel.  Measure twice, cut once.

Did mylar template, then transferred that to a piece of 1/8" foam core.  Fit the foam core now, trimmed, fitted, trimmed.  Then cut "windows" (larger than the 5/16" holes) with mylar "glass" at all the holes.  Holes are 5/16", but the final well nut screw is only about 1/8" (8-32 size), so all the holes need to be spot on.  When I get well nuts this week, I will install them, place template, then mark the holes exactly on the windows.  Then I am ready for final cutting and drilling of the ply. One 5'x5' panel of 1/8" baltic birch ply (5 ply layers) costs $80 + shipping - this is not the stuff at HD or Lowes; it is not inexpensive and I can' just run out and buy another sheet if I screw up.  When it goes on, each and every hole has to line up with the installed well nuts.

Yes, I could have just drilled and used sheet metal screws, but I like to make things difficult.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 06:37:55 am by BobB »
BobB
'99 VW EVC

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 11:17:05 pm »
Ahhh...it's never as easy as one would think!  Sounds like you have the bases covered.  I'm working on a '66 spitfire (very long term project) and will be doing all the interior paneling in it.  Just getting it ready for prep and paint now.  I'm sure I will feel your pain when I get to that stage.  I like the foam-core idea...I'll keep that in mind!
Dan
'Millie', a '95 EVC

Offline BobB

• Beach camping!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 06:35:35 am »
Picking up the Plywood today.  Found local source for 1/8" 4 ply baltic Birch plywood - $15/ 5x5 sheet vs much higher $ for some 5 ply mail-order. 

Just finished installing low profile, flat lid Fantastic Fan per albertr instructions, over in "Show off your projects here" section.  Needed to do that with my low clearance garage.
BobB
'99 VW EVC

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2015, 09:38:30 am »
I have added shelves, new LEDs, etc. but best mod has to be adding a Porti Potti.  Housed in nice simple cabinet, that is also (1) the step up to get up into the pop-top and (2)  a coffee table and (3) a seat.

Everyone has woken up at 3am, it's pouring rain, the campground is so dark you can't even see your feet, where's my flashlight, the critters outside are making strange noises, and you need to pee.  This is a wonderful investment.  My wife is very, very happy now.

2 photos attached.  Can post/send pdfs of construction drawings and more photos if wanted.  Porti Potti is Thetford 320P, and cabinet is made of 3/8" birch ply with clear coat.  Cushion made by my wife.

Bob, is it Thetford? I have Thetford 320P and it looks about the same as yours... Still need to fab a cabinet for it so it can be used as a step to get up to the upper bed.

-albertr

Offline BobB

• Beach camping!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2015, 10:32:05 am »
albertr

Yes, mine is the Thetford 320p and we use it as a step to the upper bunk. Also is our coffee table in the van now. One thing I am glad I did was order and have the Thetford in hand before finalizing the design and doing any cutting.  The real dimensions are different than what is on the website.

Since I seem to have a bit of a problem attaching things to post here on the forum (Cole knows) and I have your email, I will email them to you along with more photos, dwgs, etc.  Okay?
BobB
'99 VW EVC

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 10:57:06 am »
Great, thanks Bob! Looking forward to see your drawings/cabinet design.

-albertr

Offline BobB

• Beach camping!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2015, 12:50:58 pm »
FINISHED!

I have completed the replacement sliding door panel and have posted a new thread with a pdf of the instructions in the "Interior" section.
BobB
'99 VW EVC

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2016, 11:00:27 am »
Replaced the three small incandescent lamps in the high center rear brake light with brighter LED's. Used the same housing that is attached to the glass so it "looks" stock.

W. Li