Offline smaddock

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
24v timing chain repair
« on: October 20, 2017, 07:54:15 am »
Been working on this for awhile, misfire codes on all cylinders but no other codes. Checked and fixed vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks, replaced MAF and O2 sensors, cleaned and checked all other engine timing sensors, oil and fuel pressure good. Now looking at chain stretch, values are -8 and -10 for blocks in VCDS 208 and 209, should be at least -8, also "detected 1 exhaust phase flank" is 135 should be 118 to 134 degrees. Thinking it is just on the edge and would like to catch it early. AXK engine with 240k miles.

In few days doing "exploratory surgery", taking off intake manifold, valve cover and upper timing chain cover. Hoping it is just a busted guide, but not sure what can be replaced with just the upper cover off. I assume the upper guide can be replaced, but can the upper left or right chain guides be replaced or even the upper chain? I realize the intermediate sprocket and lower guide rails are all covered and inaccessible, but not sure about the upper ones and would like to have new parts on hand.

Also have the classic timing chain cover oil leak and see that when you put the cover back on there is no gasket, just sealant. What sealant should I use?
Thanks,
   Steve

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Re: 24v timing chain repair
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 05:41:28 pm »
You need to remove the bell housing and torque converter to get to the lower chain and guides. There is no point in doing half the job. You would be using more time and effort to do half the job half as well. Some people pull the front end off and drop the trans. I believe pulling the engine is easier and gives you the opportunity to resolve other engine issues you may have. It is not easy by any means but considering the price of a chain job in a vw shop it is not a bad investment of time if you like turning wrenches.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Offline smaddock

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2020, 03:24:00 pm »
Just a follow up. Without removing the transmission I was able to get to the upper timing chain and guides. Replaced the guides and got the timing back in spec. However it did not fix the misfire codes. After chasing them for several months more it turns out it was the serpentine belt. I had replaced the original one with a OEM belt but it was not Continental. When I put in a Continental belt all the misfires went away.
Steve

Offline davr6gti

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 11:32:01 am »
 :o how does replacing the serpentine belt fix a misfire? sounds like there may be a need for further diagnosing.

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile