Offline Snowshoer

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Scangauge set-up
« on: August 15, 2015, 07:14:44 am »
Hi,
I set up my scangauge 2 to monitor my '99 EV-Westy and am having issues with the TFT readings. I used the guide on the yahoo update group to program in the codes to read the tranny fluid temp but it is acting weird. If I am driving at 60mph on flat ground the gauge reads 168-180deg F. On a climb it spikes instantly to 250-290, when it levels off it drops back down again. If I am off the gas it drops down to 50-80deg F!?  I don't understand how it can swing so much so quick. Do other people who use a scangauge to monitor have these same readings??  I did program in the tranny water temp also and that hangs around 180-200 all the time. Is that a better indication of what the true temp of my transmission is??  Any help would be very appreciated. I'm totally frustrated with this.
Thanks -Neil
1999 Techno-Blue EV-Westy

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
Re: Scangauge set-up
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 09:55:05 am »
When I used the scan gauge to monitor fluid temp -- I had some similar results -- without the big temperature drop. I closely monitored my transmission temps on a big highway trip last year, but can't find my results. But basically - high engine demand (such as long hills) created greater heat and this is transferred to the transmission. The ATF should be at an operating temp between 165-190F -- and from some old threads it begins to breakdown around 225F.

After studying the coolant hose layout -- I'm convinced that the plumbing is wrong (and I'm not the only one who came to that conclusion: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3604848-EV-01-03-transmission-coolers). In the Eurovan, the ATF cooler/heater is fed off of the hot coolant return line (hot engine coolant enroute to the radiator to be cooled). This is a good thing to bring the ATF up to 165 -- but terrible to keep it there when engine temp gets high.

So if you're having funky temps swings -- I think you need to look at a couple of things -- one is an ATF fluid change (ensuring proper levels), and the other is an inspection of your engine coolant system. Not a bad idea to zero the fluids together. You can also look into adding an external (thermostatic) oil cooler inline with the ATF system. And -- inspect the fan control resistors which are magnet for corrosion. If these are breaking down -- then the whole coolant system is not capable of working properly.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 09:58:22 am by Itsamoto »

Offline Snowshoer

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 11:44:33 am »
Thanks for the info!  I bought the van this summer and am still learning about it. I plan on doing a cooler install this winter, changing all cooling hoses and fluid amongst other things. I have an appointment this week at an indy VW shop to check the level of the tranny. PO has a receipt for the tranny service kit and shop receipt from last year to show it was changed along with the filter. Nothing is leaking and shifts are smooth.  I'll know more this week. I'd also like to source a dipstick to monitor the level myself.
I have actually checked the fan resistors the other night because I was convinced they were not working properly. I discovered I'm paranoid!  I unplugged the plug and jumped the contacts to make fans come on in low and high which they did. When on AC the fans run the same too. I was worried because sometimes the fans did not kick on after turning the van off. Last night after shutting the van off the fans kicked on so that is good. The temp gauge on dash stays at 190 consistently. Scangauge says anywhere from 185-207, I figure 190 is a good average.
I'm thinking the tranny water temp may be better indication of what is happening. I just don't think it's possible for the tranny fluid temp to go from 188 to 265 in the blink of my eye. I'm watching this closely just trying to understand.
Thanks for the advice. -Neil.

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 03:11:18 pm »
Yes the thing that really stands out in your situation is the big changes in temperature reading. Temp sensor or sender failure?

I'm a bit paranoid about those resistors as well -- mine are just completely rusty. But with the symptoms of fan resistor failing, a light bulb went off for me the other day: Bad fans = bad cooling = hot engine = oil sludge + transmission heat. The dominos line up really fast!

Offline Snowshoer

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 04:09:14 pm »
The sensor makes sense, I'm not sure how to find it let alone test it. I will look on the computer later and see what I can find. Has anybody else had to replace the tranny temp sensor/sender? I'm planning on a weekend trip downstate Michigan (I live in th eUpper Peninsula), that's why I'm taking it in for a fluid check.

Offline Snowshoer

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 05:57:38 am »
Figured out the problem!  When I put the codes into the scangauge one of the digits was off. Once I found it and reprogrammed it things look good. Tranny temp at 70mph on flat ground is 199-204 steady for my trip. Water temps were 167-175 also. Thanks for the help!!

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 12:34:49 pm »
Does anyone know if it's possible to make ScanGauge to display the current gear (i.e. 1-4)?

-albertr