Offline ottobot79

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Brake upgrade advice
« on: September 14, 2015, 08:36:06 pm »
I am working on my 2000 EV CamperVan, purchased for about $4,900. :)  Which also means..lots of work.  I'm in the middle of working on the wheels, brakes, etc (among the other endless list of things).  :)

I have to replace all the calipers, rotors, brake pads and maybe the parking brake line etc...Some rust issues in getting the bolts off. I am having a problem finding the replacement calipers I need out there.

Ok, my question.  I have access to a parts car in a 03 Eurovan Weekender and am wondering if anyone has ever swapped calipers or upgraded their brakes using the 01-03 EV calipers?  Or can someone point me to a thread that I'm missing on doing a brake job?

Thank you guys...I've really enjoyed reading your questions, mods and responses. It helps this newb.
Ian
Jacksonville, FL
If you are on instagram I'm trying my best to document the madness. I'm iso12

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
Re: Brake upgrade advice
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 08:40:01 am »
I am doing a 4 wheel disc swap right now on Bill's 1993 Syncro using all 2001-2003 parts.

I'm not totally done with it. (as a matter of fact, I'm headed out to work on it when I finish my coffee and this post :o).

You have to swap the knuckles on the front. Which means doing new upper and lower ball joints. But basically all you need is the knuckles and the calipers. *So far* everything had bolted right on like stock.

CaveVan is also on Instagram FWIW ;)

This was the pile of parts we picked up from the junkyard to do the swap. The cupholder is a critical part of this process. If you don't have it you will need to install one. The added G-force of the new brakes require it so that you don't spill your coffee during heavy braking.

Here is the 1993-2000 front brake caliper compared to the 2001-2003 front caliper.

Front disc comparison.

One more size comparison photo for reference. This is a size 45 (10.5ish) Sidi Adventure motorcycle boot.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 08:46:48 am by Cole »
Cole

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 12:27:12 pm »
I upgraded front only on my '99 to 2001-2003 brakes. I kept my '99 knuckles and just bolted on the larger rotors/calipers. This did require enlarging the caliper mounting hole in the '99 knuckles though.

Offline ottobot79

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 07:30:30 pm »
Wow! Thanks you guys!

I'll start looking at the swap out parts... Keep you guys posted. I have an incredible friend who is far more knowledgable than I helping with this amazing restore.  His passion for VW's has certainly rubbed off on me.

Nice boots Cole! :)  (and I'm already following you on IG)   

Cheers!
Ian
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 07:52:12 pm by ottobot79 »

Offline ottobot79

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 08:54:11 am »
Ok. Got it all changed over.  I think it went smoothly...even moved an old sway bar over to my camper. Seems to handle really nice. Not to stiff not to yacht(ish).  :) Couple of pictures from the job. Although it keeps giving me an internal error when I try and post pictures. Something to do with a server issue.

Offline Farther

• Rosie, the Corgi, is my copilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 01:57:46 pm »
...even moved an old sway bar over to my camper. Seems to handle really nice. Not to stiff not to yacht(ish).
  Where'd you get the sway bar?
Thanks,
~Farther

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 08:03:53 pm »
Wow those calipers are soo clean can't find nice salvage parts like that in the north east.  Did you guys just deep six the pad sensor wires?

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 09:21:57 pm »
Yes. I just removed the pad sensors all together.

Nothing to plug them into anyway ;)
Cole

Offline ottobot79

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 08:45:10 pm »
  Where'd you get the sway bar?
Sorry for the late response on this. It's from a 2003 parts van. Little tack welding and had the brackets (previously riveted) back on there. I'll post pics soon.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Offline ottobot79

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 09:15:04 pm »
Ok. Got it all changed over.  I think it went smoothly...even moved an old sway bar over to my camper. Seems to handle really nice. Not to stiff not to yacht(ish).  :) Couple of pictures from the job. Although it keeps giving me an internal error when I try and post pictures. Something to do with a server issue.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 03:19:30 am »
You may want to upgrade master cylinder and booster to 03 spec to accomodafe the larger volume of fluid needed for your 03 mini bbk

...tapped out with just a thumb

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 06:08:34 am »
You may want to upgrade master cylinder and booster to 03 spec to accomodafe the larger volume of fluid needed for your 03 mini bbk

...tapped out with just a thumb

The non-ABS 1993 master has 4 outputs. The 03 Master has 2 outputs. Those 2 outputs go to the ABS module where they split into 4 again.

So it's not just a simple master cyl swap.
Cole

Offline Phaeton

• Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 09:54:15 pm »
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3095392

Anyone know how to adapt the 993 brakes to the T4? Der T4 on VWVortex did it nearly a decade ago.

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 07:19:16 am »
I've looks at Porsche brakes a little bit . Probably just need an adapter and custom rotor set up.

I'd probably look at Cayenne brakes first though. That is about the only way to go bigger than the largest stock Eurovan brakes.

Audi guys use them often.

But then you are stuck with at least an 18" wheel.
Cole

Offline Phaeton

• Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 08:14:54 am »
But then you are stuck with at least an 18" wheel.

I'm not certain that's the case. In the MKV community the 17z brakes are commonly discussed. 17" wheels came on the Touareg and Cayenne. They are 6 piston Brembo brakes.

I'd be concerned with brake bias and pedal travel. I wonder if a master cylinder swap would be required with a 17z swap.