Offline andrew

• Sounds like a diesel
    • View Profile
AHU TDI swap into '93 Eurovan
« on: September 15, 2015, 07:59:26 pm »
The swap has finally started with the arrival of rebuild parts. I'll be updating as work gets done at my website where I might have a little more room to catalog these things.

Feel free to critique— I want to rely on this build for travelling with my family. This isn't my first engine build, but I'm far from an expert, so tips and advice are very much appreciated.

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
Re: AHU TDI swap into '93 Eurovan
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 10:45:43 am »
Awesome -- can't wait to see more.

Offline andrew

• Sounds like a diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 04:33:40 pm »
Well, after weeks of waiting for parts, a ruined block and a newly rebuilt cracked head, the project has continued. Since the TDI wasn't ready to go in I was forbidden from tearing out the 5-cylinder, so my T4 still has the gasser and a blown CHP tranny in it. I did drive it the other day around a cul-de-sac, and despite the horrible grinding it was a glorious feeling. I can't wait for the addition of TDI power.

http://andrewclink.com/projects/thebus

Offline andrew

• Sounds like a diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 08:42:53 pm »
Woo hoo! It runs!

My eBay injection pump had a bad fuel temperature sensor so I pulled one out of an old 10mm pump. Then I got a QA code from what seems like cruddy connections in the ALH plug. Cleaned them and used the old gasser fuel pump to push-prime the pump with some diesel purge until my fuel filter fittings get here from McMaster. Even without an intake or exhaust it sounds so smooth and quiet (well, for a wide-open diesel). I'm so happy to get it running.

Things left to do:
  • Tape up and secure harness
  • Brake and Clutch switches
  • Reassemble Dash
  • Reassemble front clip
  • Cooling hoses, including furnace  ;)
  • Intercooler brackets and piping
  • Fabricate the rest of the downpipe

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 07:10:26 pm »
Looks good!
Cole

Offline andrew

• Sounds like a diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 02:51:53 pm »
So just an update on this. I have about 1000 miles on the swap and have got the ECU programming about where I want it, I think. I'm using a program from a '98 Passat AFN (B4), 028906021GL.

Amid break-in and a few dodgy tunes I've been getting about 30mpg 100% city driving. I still haven't convinced myself to cut the bumper for the front-mount intercooler, but once I do and I get some time we'll be able to take our first real highway trip up to see some snow.

I have also removed all body panels and sound-deadened and insulated at this point. I scored a giant sheet of neoprene from a random local guy and sound-proofed under the plywood as well. Throughout the whole van there are two areas of rust that I have now removed and welded in patches, and the whole thing is quieter now than it was as a gasser. We can actually hold a conversation inside. Since our (parked) TDI Beetle was demolished by a drunk driver, the bus has become our daily, so this is important.

Even with small (.205) nozzles, the van is drivable in city traffic and merging into rush-hour traffic in a way that would have been a major source of stress with the gas motor. Time will tell how it performs on mountain grades, but I am optimistic.