Offline Farther

• Rosie, the Corgi, is my copilot
    • View Profile
EVC Pop-Top Struts?
« on: September 20, 2015, 02:42:50 pm »
Last night at about 2 AM both my pop-top struts decided to fail.  I had noticed that the top was not being raised to the complete height over the past few camping trips and probably one had failed and was just waiting on the other.  Strange feeling waking up and not being able to move. 

Anyway, where are replacements available?
Thanks,
~Farther

Offline jonnyinutah

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile

Offline Farther

• View Profile
Re: EVC Pop-Top Struts?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 02:48:49 pm »
Thanks for the link, the struts are on their way and at a better price then I thought I would be paying. 

I noticed that they are rated for 100 pounds each.  I wonder what those folks who have heavy items such as storage boxes, bikes and watercraft on their roofs do for struts.  They certainly have over 200 pounds weight up there.  Any thoughts?
Thanks,
~Farther

Offline jshdcooper

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 12:59:08 pm »
I'll be looking for a solution to that problem! I'll let you know what I come up with.

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 03:23:02 pm »
I've upgraded to 120lbs struts I got off fleabay. Did a short write-up on it available here:

http://www.iral.com/~albertr/EVC/struts/roofstruts.html

-albertr

Offline Farther

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 08:34:58 am »
The GoWesty struts are in.  I do not have a ratchet so I used 550 paracord as GoWesty suggested but put a loop on both ends of the cord, secure one loop on the strut, compressed the strut, secured the opposite loop and then installed.  Compressing of the strut is easier said than done.  It helps that I weigh 225 pounds.  For what it's worth the struts are made in Turkey.  Also, my original pop-top does not allow the strut to extend the whole length so the strut locking feature if of no use with my top.
Thanks,
~Farther

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 02:28:35 pm »
Interesting you are not able to take advantage of locking mechanism.  I just bought one of these so that I would have two lockers (not yet installed).  I have a rack with a load on top as well and nudged the one locker accidentally bringing the top down in a hurry - very uncool.

I'm in a 2003 model - what year are you?

For those looking to improvise a solution, I built a home made locker for my rear hatch out of aluminum tube.  The gap fits over the piston rod and locks in place against the gas cylinder / rod end.

Offline Farther

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 04:20:51 pm »
I'm in a 2003 model - what year are you?

Mine is a 2000 EVC.
Thanks,
~Farther

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 06:31:00 am »
Hey,

I just posted this in the Yakima Rack thread but in case you aren't dialed into that one, here is a way to make the locking mechanism work:

One issue I've created with all the gear up top is overload on the pop top safety strut.  Accidentally disengaging the safety lock with a full load is simply a matter of rolling over in your sleep - the struts themselves are no longer capable of more than an assist.

I decided to add a second locking strut and ordered one from GoWesty.  When I took it out to the van it was far too long.  I sent GW tech a note and they advised it may need to be cut down.  So measuring it against stock I ended up cutting down the locking tube by 2" 

Additionally I've added a very simple backup for each locking strut - a flat overhand jam knot on a loop - it's always right there when you need it.  Sleep ez.

That does not fit:

Elevated so the shaft had room to drop down then multiple passes with the radial arm.  This can also be done with band saw or....

Using utility cord to set up compression for installation.  You've got to guess for stretch - took a few times to get that right. 

Two loops both set around the strut, use the large diameter tube for gripping, compress and slip the top loop over.

Jam knot as additional layer of protection - I was using this and front mtn bike wheel prior to adding 2nd strut!