Poll

Does the negativity of the "diesel-gate" affect your willingness/plans to convert to tdi?

Definitely will not convert because of diesel-gate.
Less likely than before.
Neutral, unchanged.
More likely than before.
Definitely will convert because of diesel-gate.

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
POLL: Diesel-gate and your tdi conversion
« on: October 02, 2015, 05:05:10 pm »
I think about this and although this is not a heavy TDI forum -- it is certainly a forum with some tdi swap experts and many owners considering it.

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
Re: POLL: Diesel-gate and your tdi conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 12:06:02 pm »
As I understand it, "diesel gate" doesn't even affect the engines typically used in a Eurovan.

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 08:16:37 pm »
As I understand it, "diesel gate" doesn't even affect the engines typically used in a Eurovan.

Yes - thats right, different generations of engines. Diesel gate has spawned a lot of discussion on the future of diesel passenger vehicles in the US. If it was difficult to deal with meeting emissions controls before, I can only imagine how much harder it will be now that VW tdi is under such scrutiny.

I live in Alberta -- which for better or worse has very lax emissions standards. Even here, there are rumblings of brining in stricter emissions testing on passenger cars.

Offline Powdermonkey

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 02:36:31 am »
I have a 2011 MK6 golf tdi that is involved in this scandal. I will be selling it back to VW when I can. It pains me to say this as well after 12 years and 349,919 miles with my mk4 Jetta (rest in piece(s)) and after owning a v10tdi Touareg. I'll be going back to the mk4 body style when it's time to buy again. Great mileage, I love the interiors, and I want a pop top mk4 t4 like cavevan keeps posting on his Instagram. Sad for the non commercial diesel powered market in the U.S. For sure. But it will struggle on. Hopefully.