Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
Replacing EVC skylight with Fan-Tastic vent
« on: May 20, 2015, 01:04:54 pm »
Here's a quick write-up on replacing stock EVC skylight with Fan-Tastic vent:

http://www.iral.com/~albertr/EVC/fan/fan.html

Any comments and/or questions are welcome.

-albertr

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
Re: Replacing EVC skylight with Fan-Tastic vent
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 01:50:32 pm »
Tested Fan-Tastic vent on a three day camping trip, and I have to say that it's a worthy addition. It was getting quite hot inside for a a few hours during afternoon when van got exposed to open sun (of course I was too lazy to re-park it in the shade), and opening up back window and turning on fan made a HUGE difference with good amount of fresh air drifting thru the van. It probably won't be that chilly once humidity picks up but so far I'm very happy with results. Still need to sort out issues with dying coach battery, but that's another story...

-albertr

Offline GotMojo

• View Profile
    • HB Rialta
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 01:56:31 pm »
For anyone else thinking of doing this, take a look at the maxxair versions of these fans.  More expensive plastic pieces but you can leave it open in the rain.  I have two on my Rialta and I'm glad I upgraded.

http://www.maxxair.com/products/maxxfan/maxxfan_deluxe_manual.php

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 03:58:59 pm »
These are nice, but unfortunately they won't allow my van to fit garage door opening...
My primary motivation to go with Fan-tastic was the door clearance.

-albertr

Offline GotMojo

• View Profile
    • HB Rialta
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 04:34:24 pm »
I think that was pretty clear from the photo showing the clearance.  The message was aimed at others without clearance issues.

Offline BobB

• Beach camping!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 08:51:15 am »
Albertr - Thank you

Just installed “slim model” Fantastic Fan (for those of us vertically challenged by our garage) and wanted to thank albertr for his help.  His posted instructions with photos were invaluable.  He also answered via email some miscellaneous questions I had during process.

Everything went fine, and I only deviated a little bit from his original instructions.

I went with the basic 3 speed, manual opening, reversible Fan.  Keeping it simple.

albertr hunted and found - from different sources - the flat lid, low profile base, euro trim, etc.  Since then he found www.rvvent.com (ADohen Supply Co) and shared that info with me.  They supplied me with the low profile base, flat lid, and the “euro” garnish interior trim.  One stop shopping.

I did not have a dremel tool suitable to do the cutting, so I bought a Bosch Oscillating MultiTool, which cuts by vibration,variable speed 8-20,000 oscillations per minute.  A wonderful tool, it let me make very precise, controlled cuts in the top and interior trim, and I think it is a bit safer than a spinning saw blade.

I used the same 3M 4000UV Marine adhesive/sealant. It is really a great product with adhesion somewhere between permanent and removable.  Often used for mounting deck hardware on sailboats.  I was able to find it in a 10oz “standard” caulking tube size, rather than the larger 600ml “sausage”. Found it on Amazon, where it also comes in 3 oz tubes.  I found one 10oz tube enough for this project.  I also did use a screw in each corner to secure while it cured, rather than weights.

Final clearance above top of skylight in my garage is about 1-1/8"
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 08:54:38 am by BobB »
BobB
'99 VW EVC

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 09:06:46 am »
Nice! Glad it worked out well. I consider adding the roof vent fan as one of the most valuable improvements done to my van. It really helps alot during hot summer months here.

-albertr