Offline jackjtr

• View Profile
2002 EV MV TDI Swap questions
« on: February 17, 2016, 07:16:27 am »
Hey guys,

I'm looking to convert my 2002 24v VR6 EV to TDI. I want this swap to be easy and quick. From what I have read, it's not too hard. I've never swapped an engine, but I consider myself somewhat experienced as I am in the middle of a top end rebuild on my Benz V8 and I've pulled the top timing cover off my van before. I guess you can say that I've been "in there" before. I'm also parting out a MK3 Jetta, so I'm somewhat familiar with the components of a MK3 if I opt to use one as a donor car for the swap.

I have a couple of questions...

Would I be okay with just the following parts?

-MK3 Jetta TDI (donor)
-EWB transmission with linkage, clutch components, and mounts
-T4 pan
-T4 dipstick
-T4 pickup
-T4 AHU mounts

How much "custom" work is involved with this swap in terms of drilling the block, custom mounts, and other stuff?

Is the wiring really THAT hard on this swap?

Can I retain ClimaTronic as well and still be able to read it with VAG COM?

Can I retain my ABS if the donor MK3 doesn't have it?

Will it be hard to fit the MK3 cluster into the EV?

Since my EuroVan has a lot of MK4 components, would an ALH swap be wise, or should I still stick with the AHU swap?

I spoke with someone from Dutch Auto Parts (I think Frans), and the prices are very reasonable for what I would need.

Thanks guys!
2002 EVMV TDI, Mercedes of the 60s-80s, Movie Biz

Offline andrew

• Sounds like a diesel
    • View Profile
Re: 2002 EV MV TDI Swap questions
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 09:01:58 am »
I don't have experience with the long-nose vans, so issues like the mounts and wiring will be different. My advice would be to look at a lot of diagrams on vagcat.com and determine the similarities to the short-nose vans where this has been done several times (mostly in Europe).

Wiring is not difficult if you are capable of reading schematics, especially Bentley-style. Wiring simply consists of routing each signal where it's intended to go; if the sender and receiver are compatible, it will work. It remains up to you to determine if that's the case between, say, an AHU coolant temperature sender and a 2002 gauge cluster. With the short-nose vans this is a matter of plugging things in correctly and swapping pins in plugs, not cutting and splicing.

The EDC system is very much self-contained, wiring wise, so retaining climate control and ABS should be straightforward. I can't comment on the physical cluster fit, but if they are not the same as the B4 (the A3 will almost certainly not fit) I would retain the T4 cluster and condition the signals to work. For my swap this involved re-writing the EEPROM inside the cluster to support the correct 4-cylinder tach and VSS, but a popular option on the TDIClub is some frequency-conversion box from Dakota Digital. I imagine a $4 arduino clone would do as good a job if you're willing to learn and write 10-20 lines of code.

Your parts list is missing the ABL inner timing belt cover, which is required for the ABL (not AHU engine mount bracket).  You may also want ABL bellhousing tins since they are different when mating to an 02B vs 02A. I ended up fabricating them, but it would have been cleaner to have something to bolt on.

To my knowledge-- which is limited on the later stuff--  an ALH style block (I forget the block code) was never offered, so factory mounts wouldn't be available.

You can go through my swap at andrewclink.com/projects/thebus . Things like power steering and AC connections have to be considered, airbox, intercooler piping, exhaust, etc. So worth it in the end (at least coming from a doggy 5-cylinder), but a lot more work than you might think at first.

Offline jackjtr

• View Profile
Re: 2002 EV MV TDI Swap questions
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 07:58:35 pm »
Thanks for the response! Yeah, I don't see too many long-nose swaps, but it's probably very similar besides a few VR6 things.

Thanks for all that info as well!!! I actually used to mess around with Arduinos in middle school (a few years ago), so I'm a little familiar with the code.

So would the ABL cover work for the AHU? I heard all these old style TDIs are similar block-wise.

Your writeup is definitely going to be helpful. Thanks again! I'm off to go polish some Mercedes valves and dream of TDI EuroVans ::)
2002 EVMV TDI, Mercedes of the 60s-80s, Movie Biz