Offline CousinSven

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
The Quest for a Eurovan Key Fob Transmitter
« on: July 20, 2016, 02:19:11 am »
I am the most happy new owner of a 2001 Eurovan MV Weekender.  I love making this van new again, almost as much as I enjoy driving it.  I'm in love and one part of this love affair is buying parts! 

So, it struck me as absolutely insane that Volkswagen of America discontinued the key fob transmitter with immobilizer for the 2001 Eurovan, part number 7D0959753K. I know this part number well, I've been saying it in my sleep.

Is there a VW parts store that might have this 2-button remote?  I've talked with Troy and Zeb at 1stVWparts and they said this was discontinued in 2013.  Right now I have one transmitter with the built in key, which means I'm one misplaced key away from disaster.  I can't start the car without the chip in the key, and I don't want to pay a locksmith $600 for a solution less than OE.

If not, then is there a contact at VoA that us little CaveVan forum people could reach out to? 

We need to request this part number be activated again. Why on earth would you discontinue parts support for such a complex system?  Why on earth would you discontinue parts support for such a cult car? 

I want to know the name of the guy in part number administration who thought it would be a good idea to make this part "Obsolete" because he is the biggest idiot ever to have walked the face of the earth. If you can't buy the parts at the old cost, raise my cost.  No automaker can support every part into perpetuity, but this is a critical part, wouldn't you say?

To say this part is obsolete implies there is something newer and better that replaces it.  There is no superseded part number for this.

Holy hell, I'm coming to the realization that I'm gonna be hold up in my garage for the next five weekends like MacGyver.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 10:19:58 pm by CousinSven »

Offline Phaeton

• Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
Re: The Quest for a Eurovan Key Fob Transmitter
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 07:58:05 am »
Read the following:
1. http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=84
2. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5931307-Eurovan-2002-lost-my-only-key-don-t-have-SKC-(pin)-code

When the van was new, 3 keys were supplied. 2 switchblade keys, and an emergency key (7D0837216 01C) with the transponder built in. Although its funny, when the sales guy was showing us the car in 2001, he was telling us the emergency key was for the lockable gas cap.

I'm not sure about the transponder type, I think its ID48 but I know that the remote shares the same 315MHz frequency as the Golf/Jetta models. As such, you should have no problem finding remotes - except that the Golf/Jetta have remotes that have panic and trunk release buttons.

Emergency key:

I'd get the emergency key above from the dealer, and just have them program it.

For the remotes, I'd look into buying them here or someplace similar: http://www.woodsboroautosales.com/eurovan.html
I'd also request that they use a new 2 button keyfob shell (bunch of them on eBay from China) with an OEM logo (3B083789109Z; non-OEM looks scratches off very quickly). This will get you VERY close to the OEM feel. Only thing that'll be different is that the OEM key remote portion's key-out is triangular, and the new one will be a rectangular opening. This bothers me quite a bit, but I don't know where to get a key that matches perfectly.

Have them programmed at the dealer, or with VCDS/Vagtacho yourself (not completely sure how to do it myself), or find someone else to do it - there's a couple on VWVortex.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 08:00:02 am by Phaeton »

Offline JohnMilton

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Re: The Quest for a Eurovan Key Fob Transmitter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 11:23:40 am »
I have a van but I have only one key thanks to the locksmith Tampa bay team to provide me with two new fobs at a decent cost.