Offline duckdive

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Tracking down a smog check issue. Currently failing on CO 15mph in California.

Originally failed cause of NO, but my EV was running rough for a while... timing belt was done last year, but I think it ran poorly for a for up to two years prior (not a daily), hence Cat was prob shot. Cat replaced.

Then, I re-tested 3 times today. Two failed and one passed (but sadly, the pretest). CO was passing very low (plenty of room to spare) on the pre-test today (and CO passed on my first test 3 weeks ago. NO failed then replaced cat), but on the failed checks today, the CO was very high. The tech also said I was running a rich Air to Fuel ratio. 12.5:1 @ 15mph and 13.1 @ 25mph.

Weird that there was such a difference between the one that passed and the others. Values were in the passing range with room to spare, while the failed CO % was up to 3.65%.

Here is a link to a file from AirCare, an emissions shop in Canada (it is in my Google Drive). They show a case that indicates the IAT (air intake sensor) could be putting the early EVs into rich mode. This seems like my case, but I'm not sure.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_QSxvWtyLX5SjI1LXo1dnFfNDQ

Has anybody used this 500 ohm resistor fix? Has anybody heard of it?

Wondering if this is what my EV is experiencing? Or if something else is going on? The guy who did my cat mentioned that the O2 sensor didn't look OEM... but still, would really cause this type of fluctuation... unless it was defective/short?

Others I've talked to mentioned Timing, MAF (but I don't know if the EV has one), vacuum lines (though, this irregular pass/no pass seems weird to be the culprit) (or things listed elsewhere - MAP, TPS, ETC, Fuel injection).

Offline duckdive

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Just got word from a guy on EV Update that he did it, and it worked.

Also, my local shop got back to me and said that their mechanic who used to work for VW used to do this as well.