Offline mastersryan!

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Pop-Top Cleaning
« on: August 19, 2016, 08:31:51 am »
So a short introduction - I bought a 1993 Eurovan MV Weekender 5cyl 5spd a couple of weeks ago that had been sitting for sometime. The body is in decent shape but will eventually need a respray and the top was disgusting! A couple of layers of dirt/mold/grease/sap and whatever else was caked onto the top of the van.

I did some research and bought a couple different products from Amazon and GoWesty. I first started with a soak down and wash with regular car wash soap with a light scrub to clean any basic dirt off. Then brought in the good stuff to get the gunk off.

I went with Davis Industries FSR - Fiberglass Stain Remover and boy did this work great! While reading the reviews some people mentioned that all they had to do was apply softly and let rest for a couple minutes with a quick hose down to eliminate dirt. This method DID NOT work for me as I had to scrub with some microfiber cloths and soft brushes for about an hour.

After the light wash and a first round of applying and letting soak with a wash.

Applying FSR

Results

After the first night of cleaning I feel good about the product and would recommend this to anybody that needs to clean the top of there pop-top. I am going to give it another scrub early next week as I had to order another can of FSR.

1993 VW Eurovan MV Weekender 2.5L 5spd

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
Re: Pop-Top Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 09:00:20 am »
Looks good....now ;)
Cole

Offline mastersryan!

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Re: Pop-Top Cleaning
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 09:03:31 am »
Thanks, it's getting there. Still have to do at least another scrub and get some color restore on the top. Plus need to coat it with something as the clear is pretty much non existent.
1993 VW Eurovan MV Weekender 2.5L 5spd