Offline 42pvan

• View Profile
Removing the Winnebago from an EVC
« on: May 25, 2015, 11:16:06 pm »
So I started with a pretty standard EVC and then the stock  Norcold fridge started having problems.  :PI researched the topic on The Samba and concluded that a TruckFridge was the way to go. Ordered one and put it in and got a great fridge, more cold space, more "cabinet" space, and a new drawer!  :) And I got cool new covers to replace the plastic vent covers that were needed for the propane function of the original fridge. ;D

Offline 42pvan

• View Profile
Re: Removing the Winnebago from an EVC
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 11:23:39 pm »
Then I wanted more fridge run time between charges rather than the day or so from the POs house battery. The local battery shop suggested dual Trojan T105s (6V golf cart batteries). But these would need a new battery box, so might as well replace the surrounding cheap plastic cabinet that would squeak all night from the plastic rubbing on plastic  ::). And these nice new batteries would need a good charger so got a ProMariner 20 amp dual that hooked to the Trojans and the starter battery. Now all my batteries stayed nicely conditioned and topped off 8)

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 11:24:32 pm »
 How do you like TruckFridge? How much current does it draw on 12VDC?

Cool vent covers! Did you fabricate them?

-albertr

Offline 42pvan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 11:36:52 pm »
If I replaced the passenger side cabinet, might as well do the drivers side one as well ::) opted for cubbies to access the new storage areas created by removing the original converter (rearward cubbie) and the "extra" heating duct (forward cubbie). Winnebago routed the 4 inch diameter exit duct into a large plenum and split it into 2 four inch exit ducts that can be seen on the driver side of the rear bench seat. No idea why they did this  :o
I also replaced the silly foot board under the rear seat that had no function and would fall off at the slightest touch and was hard to put back into place.

Offline 42pvan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 11:43:52 pm »
The TruckFridge is great! I don't have to think about it at all and works great!  I got the DC only version and works fine with the ProMariner charger when plugged into shore power. It draws about 2 amps (maybe 2.5) and uses about 25 amp hours per day. So my T105s that have a 225 amp hour rating should be able to run the fridge for about 5 days while drawing the batteries down 50%. Someday, maybe I will install a solar setup to further increase the time I can go without charging.

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 07:34:41 am »
Love two things about this! First it looks like good functional modifications! Secondly, I hate that they did such drab grey interiors in these. Any addition of color and real materials like wood make it seem like a nicer vehicle to me.
Cole

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 08:06:14 am »
Thanks for sharing experience with TruckFridge. Did you make these vent covers yourself?

-albertr

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 02:15:03 pm »
Looks fantastic -- nice cabinet work. Studies show that wood grain warms and calms people.

Having never been in an EVC (and having just SWB) -- that rear section looks very useful with the mid plank removed. Versatile.

Offline 42pvan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 08:34:19 pm »
Thanks for the good feedback! The vent covers are really just plugs and not vents. The TruckFridge does not need any ventilation and I just wanted to plug the holes in the side of the van. I had them made at a local machine shop where we do a lot of business for my job. They are aluminum with blind tapped holes on the back to attach them, black anodized, and then the design was milled into them. They say different designs are easy in case anyone is interested.
The rear section is great because it is pretty functional in camping mode as seen in the pictures, and you can remove the board and the rear seat easily to give a huge hauling bay. Sheets of plywood are no problem!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 09:11:26 am »
How much it would be to make another pair of these covers? I don''t need any custom milling on them, just plain flat surface.

Love your battery cabinet! Which aluminum extrusions were you using?

-albertr

Offline 42pvan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 11:07:30 pm »
The covers would probably somewhere around $40 each without engraving but could be long lead time as my work is keeping the shop really busy these days! Could probably get them anodized something other than black as well. I don't thing engraving would add much to them in case you want do something fun

I used 80/20 extrusion for the cabinets. All 1 inch series as that was the smallest they had with all the quarter round stuff. I choose this because we had a bunch of accessories and parts leftover at work and I was used to the brand. It was good because my current work project uses a bunch of quarter round extrusion which is a first for my company, so I had some experience with it.

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 12:25:34 pm »
Thanks, these are great looking cabinets!

Unfortunately, I have to pass on covers. If it would be about $40 for a pair, I might consider it, but for $80 is just above my budget.

Thanks again for sharing your project!

-albertr

Offline sdunn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 07:14:31 pm »
Great posts 42pvan!  Question: Do you still have shore power capability now that you've removed the power converter?

Offline 42pvan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 07:50:36 pm »
Thanks! Yes, I still have shore power. Power coming in from first goes through a circuit breaker or GFCI (the big square thing with a little button in it that you see when you open the circuit panel lid in an EVC). After passing through that safety circuit, 110 VAC comes out and is then routed throughout the van. I still have a few outlets and have the battery charger plugged into one of them. I only use them as extension cords when working in the van . The only thing the inverter does is supply enough DC power to run just about anything you could think of back in the late 90's. Now, with everything much more efficient, I found the charger is sufficient for my needs once I got rid of the energy hog Norcold fridge.

Offline Nemesisnight

• The Mountains Are Calling
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 12:02:12 pm »
Great build so far, can't wait to see what else you have in store!!! It's hard to find many people that change the interiors in EVC's and I want to get as many ideas as possible before I start doing mine.  Love the addition of the back cubbies, can you elaborate or show additional photos of what you did with the heater ductwork?  did you keep the original 2 ducts and route an additional one, (or) bypass those 2 altogether and do 1 bigger one?  Do your cubbies still have the vents in them to allow circulation for the propane heater, if not what was your solution for that?  You should sell a kit minus the wood un-assembled so I can buy one and build my own lol.  Maybe its easy to find the materials and build it, I'm good with woodwork but never have used the aluminum you have for the frame structures.