Re: Turbo!!
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 06:47:46 pm »
Realistically how often are folks running their VR6 engines at the rpm range where they reach peak hp? Iirc this is around 4500rpm and the TCM won't let you spend much time up that high. Best to look at the VR6 power band graph for real world power #s.

2000 EVW 5-spd TDI
Justin
2000 EVW 1.9l TDI 5spd Syncro

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 06:29:45 am »
Realistically how often are folks running their VR6 engines at the rpm range where they reach peak hp? Iirc this is around 4500rpm and the TCM won't let you spend much time up that high. Best to look at the VR6 power band graph for real world power #s.

2000 EVW 5-spd TDI

You might be surprised here in Colorado. The average weekend trip to the mountains includes many long climbs and operation around. 11,000ft.

The speed limit is upwards of 75mph on those roads.

Load the van up with 5 passengers and gear and it takes quite a bit to keep up with traffic.

I've had several vehicles that have required essentially redline operation just to hold the 7 mile 60mph climb from Silverthorn to the Eisenhower Tunnel at 11,158'.

Often times it can kinda be an all or nothing climb too. Get out of the peak power and you may find that you can never get back above 40mph. Which can be VERY dangerous on those roads.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 06:35:50 am by Cole »
Cole

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2015, 09:45:33 am »
Did anyone try to use a newer incarnations of VR6's (i.e. 3.6L VR6 from VW Touareg) in their EV?

-albertr

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2015, 09:53:53 am »
Did anyone try to use a newer incarnations of VR6's (i.e. 3.6L VR6 from VW Touareg) in their EV?

-albertr

I've looked into it.

Your best bet is a 3.2L. It's as close as you are going to get to a direct drop in replacement for the 2.8L 24v

None of that really helps the 5cyl vans though.

Cole

Offline Mystery machine

• Roadtrippin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 09:46:08 pm »
As far as digifant reprogramming I'm planning to go another route.  I'll be adding a couple of additional injectors for fuel and likely adding 92 octane fuel for detention prevention.  The turbo will be a hybrid of a Passat compressor (in line engine) and a Jetta turbine (transverse engine).  These small k03 turbos are rated for 180hp at stock boost levels which should be just fine in a currently underpowered 93' weekender.  I'm looking forward to the boost in torque and the less frequent downshifts.  In theory I could see a slight uptick in MPG if I can keep my foot out of it and minimize the time in boost.  The factory air box will be replaced by a intercooler from a Jetta.  A cone style air filter will easily fit on the drivers side behind the headlight. 

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 06:56:06 pm »
I've used the K03 turbos on a variety of off stock applications (Vanagon/Eurovan) at a variety of power levels with 4cyl AHU/1Z engines and the limiting factor that you quickly run into is high EGTs at higher loads/revs. In fact even the common upgraded version of this turbo the K03/04 hybrid is still limiting with regards to egts when under load.

They do work quite well on the vehicles they came stock on, but keep in mind the extra weight and aerodynamics of the EV.

Justin

2000 EVW 5-spd TDI
Justin

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2015, 07:51:08 am »
Justin,

You are still talking diesels here. The rest of this discussion is on the gas motor.

Just need to make sure we keep them separate for clarity  ;D
Cole

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2015, 07:49:30 pm »
That's true good point. But my main point is still valid: it's important to size the turbo to the size of the vehicle/eng. True I've never run a k03 turbo on a 5cyl gas EV but I'm just offering what I do know well and have real world experience with to hopefully help steer the consideration in a way that minimizes wheel spinning fantasy and maximizes power to the wheels actualization :-).

EGTs should be at the top of anybodies list of concerns entering turbo land and especially when considering turbo charging a formally normally aspirated eng.

2000 EVW 5-spd TDI
Justin

Offline Mystery machine

• Roadtrippin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 10:22:54 am »
Great point on the EGT's.  What temps range do you like to see?  Measured before or after turbo?   I agree a long pull under boost at higher rpm's could see a spike.  I figured the horsepower goals I was looking for would come at a lower RPM point compared to the 1.8t motor and that's fine as the 2.5 isn't really a revver in the Eurovan.   :)

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 12:59:39 pm »
The general rule of thumb on VWs with aluminum alloy heads and pistons is to keep it below 1250* F max pre-turbine.  This is considered a safe max temp. Post turbine #s are too variable and not recommended.

2000 EVW 5-spd TDI
Justin

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2015, 03:23:03 pm »
I've been into turbo cars forever and I've never seen anyone even mention the issue of EGTs on a gasoline engine, but I see it all the time on diesel engines.

I've tried to find a good reason why but find nothing but speculation.(anyone have a good link? ) Essentially, is seems it's just not enough of an issue to to worry about. Especially at the boost levels you would be running on this 2.5L in the Eurovan.
Cole

Offline Mystery machine

• Roadtrippin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2015, 08:48:05 pm »
Justin, thanks for the info about the EGT's.  I agree with Cole that gas turbos don't seem to see this as diesels do.  Perhaps with the slower combustion of diesel  as some of the fuel continues to burn past the exhaust valve as it is pushed down to the turbo.  However, with the 5cyl issue with cracking manifolds, the EGT's are still important.  The way to find out is to do it.  I'll be adding a vacuum/boost, EGT, and fuel mixture gauges.  I have oil temp, oil pressure, and coolant temp gauges too but that may make it look too much like a cockpit?

Offline Robinasu

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2017, 03:50:32 pm »
A turbo AAF inline 5 gas engine is interesting to me. First things first: does anyone have any candidate I5 manifolds from other engines that would bolt up to the AAF?

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2017, 04:02:50 pm »
There is some rumor that the 2.5TDI manifold may work
Cole

Offline audios

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
    • cardigan mtn orchard
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2017, 07:12:09 pm »
what about the audi K24 turbo?  that came on the 2.2 audi motor and built boost by 2000rpm so would be even sooner with the 2.5l...... for fuel regulate to 5 psi or so and add a FMU?