Offline andrew

• Sounds like a diesel
    • View Profile
02B Clutch Release Bearing Guide
« on: December 29, 2015, 06:16:21 pm »
Not sure where to put this, but I figure more people in this forum have had a manual transmission removed.

The other evening while thinking things left to do on my swap I had a terrifying moment of regret over not taking pictures of the bell housing before I put everything together. I got a rebuilt transmission and had to swap everything over to it— speed sensor, reverse switch, etc. I know the pivot ball was there because it was newish, but I don't remember if the clutch release guide was there or not. From the looks of things it doubles as the cover for the input shaft seal.

Put my mind at ease— can the input shaft seal reasonably be installed without the release bearing guide?

Re: 02B Clutch Release Bearing Guide
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 10:07:52 pm »
The release guide is bolted to the area around the input shaft seal but its function isn't a "cover" for the input shaft seal per se, only to center/guide the release bearing along its throw.  If you need to R&R the input shaft seal you need to remove this guide first.

Justin
Justin
2000 EVW 1.9l TDI 5spd Syncro

Offline andrew

• Sounds like a diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 11:03:37 pm »
So could a transmission plausibly be delivered with the seal in place but without the guide? I bled the clutch yesterday and it feels normal— no binding. It seems to me from the shape of the shaft that if the guide were missing there would eventually be very noticeable binding.

I can't believe that I would have installed a clutch fork and bearing without greasing the guide, but I guess I'll have to find a mirror that will fit in the TDC window or remove the starter to check.

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 07:07:12 am »
Anything is possible! Best to confirm before install even if that means separating the Trans/eng.

Justin

2000 EVW 5-spd TDI
Justin
2000 EVW 1.9l TDI 5spd Syncro