Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
Latest CaveVan build "Shades of Grey"
« on: April 05, 2016, 04:49:47 pm »
Figured I would share my latest Eurovan creation.

Here is the cliff notes "after" picture. This van started life as a tiptop :shock:

It's now a full Weekender Poptop. But unlike the factory poptop vans is now has rear AC and the Climatronic digital dual zone climate control.

The poptop and the bottom of the van are bed lined in charcoal grey to compliment the silver van.

The bedliner on the top will protect it against scratches from loading gear on top and from the top hitting trees when out camping.

The bed liner on the bottom will help prevent rust and the door steps and rear bumper will add traction and paint protection.

The interior door handles are also bedlined in the same grey. This makes them match the exterior and also gives a durable door handle while eliminating the annoying "soft touch". I've done these on several vans now and love it!

These all match the exterior bed liner.

The seat bases were cut down 1" to accommodate the swivel. Then painted in charcoal grey outside and bright red inside, carpeted and reflective red shock cord added for extra storage. The charcoal grey paint on the seat bases was also used on the rear bed supports, the H-bar, the entire poptop frame and bed board frames.

I also installed a euro dash cubby and a new Blaupunkt stereo.

CaveVan vinyl flooring, custom hard wood table and upper bed boards/celing,

Upper grey bed board, charcoal frame, red button :wink:

Of course I also added the titanium and deluxe grey Fiamma awning, the red brakes. It has a H&R Cup kit on it but that is being replaced with proper Westfalia springs and a 1.5" CaveVan lift.

This is about the closest I have to a "before" picture. Except I'd already bed lined the lower part of the body here.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 05:02:29 pm by Cole »
Cole

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
Re: Latest CaveVan build "Shades of Grey"
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 07:41:48 pm »
Top notch Cole - it looks like a brand new van. I love the two-tone scheme on this van.

So what's the story with this van? Is this a customer's van or one that is going to be for sale?

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 08:01:23 pm »
This is Tony's van.

His family already had a nice 93 Westfalia that they loved.

They decided they wanted all the features of a loaded 2003 including rear AC.

So we found the cleanest 2003 MV we could find as the base.

Tony originally said he "was happy to just leave it silver, and that he wasn't a flashy guy".

I basically refused to build him a stock looking van ;) Eventually convincing him that a two tone dark grey and silver combo would give him the elegance he wanted.

I was then given free reign to do what I wanted. So I decided to basically change all the stock shades of grey to more interesting shades of grey that had more depth and texture. Adding just a touch of style with the wood grains and red accents.

This van now lives in Ohio!

He was very excited and happy to pick it up!
Cole

Offline Micah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 06:04:12 am »
Nice Build!

Offline Stonefly

• 97 EVC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 08:32:00 am »
Very nice! Which Blaupunkt are you using? I recently installed a Barcelona, but had to return it because of poor FM reception.

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 09:20:44 am »
Very nice! Which Blaupunkt are you using? I recently installed a Barcelona, but had to return it because of poor FM reception.

This plugged directly into the Eurovan harness with zero extra wiring or modifications. (Okay, I trimmed .5 of a mm off a tab to make it fit nicely)

(Note that the missing dash switch black was replaced. It had a headphone jack installed in the original one that was no longer needed. So a stock replacement was installed after this picture)

Cole

Offline aquercus

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 12:51:54 pm »
Gorgeous!

After you cut down the seat base did you still have room to put in a battery under the drivers side? I'm tall and I want the drivers side swivel, but need that auxiliary battery.

Right now I have an optima Marine grade battery on its side. Does the swivel have any extra room underneath it?

Thanks

Alex

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 01:11:50 pm »
No.

The battery needs relocated.

It's very simple to just move the battery itself to the back.

In a recent van I replaced the battery with a yeti 400 and mounted it under the back seat on a custom bracket that moves with the seat.

Keep in mind that MVs didn't have house batteries, only weekenders. So this top conversion van never hadn't one to begin with.

Cole

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 01:18:37 pm »
For the "Snap Dragon" van. This whole setup slides with the seat frame

Cole