Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
Turbo!!
« on: June 08, 2015, 07:32:22 pm »
I've read a few accounts of the I5 in these vans being turbo charged.

Seems fairly simple since the Audis came with a variation of this engine with a turbo! Both in 10v and 20v configurations.

The Audi guys actually like to use the EV cranks to build larger displacement stroker engines.

I've seen the cars put out upwards of 1,100hp (not a typo :o)

Seems that a very mild 200-250hp set up would make a huge difference on the Eurovan!

Cole

Offline trbowgn

• View Profile
Re: Turbo!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 11:19:36 am »
As a diehard turbo guy I have thought about this many times.  The conclusion I have come to that if I am going to go to that effort I might as well go TDI and be done with it.  I think the TDI better fits the use of our EVC.  Now if I had a sweet eurovan like one of yours that I was going a little more street with I think a 250 hp 5 cyl 5 speed would be a very fun ride.
Kyle O.
95 EVC 5cyl 5spd

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 11:29:56 am »
Unfortunately not everyone can do a TDI swap based just on local emmisons laws.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 06:52:33 am by Cole »
Cole

Offline trbowgn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 07:26:19 pm »
I live I the great state of Michigan where we can register anything and emissions don't exist. I have a small fleet of Frankenstein cars. The guys at the part shops always want make and model and I have to try to think what that part of the car is originally from.  I sold a Dodge Rampage and gave the guy a list of what to tell the parts store he was working on in order to get the right parts. He had 5 different yodels depending on what he was working on.
Kyle O.
95 EVC 5cyl 5spd

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 06:53:41 am »
Well, I had a nice 1993 Eurovan Westfalia fall in my lap that I'm considering keeping as a CaveVan test bed van. What to do, what to do?  :o
Cole

Offline lister

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 01:55:36 am »
Well, I had a nice 1993 Eurovan Westfalia fall in my lap that I'm considering keeping as a CaveVan test bed van. What to do, what to do?  :o

Obviously go turbo and show us all how to do it...  ;D

Offline Kamprknut

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 01:08:45 am »
I've thought about that some myself. Also interested in a possible turbo LPG kit. Though getting it licensed here is a challenge.

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 09:18:19 am »
Just to be clear "turbo" and "LPG" are independent things. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a "turbo LPG kit" but I'm assuming you meant you want to add a turbo to your eng as well as an LPG sys?

Years back I built a LPG fumigation system on my old TDI Vanagon Westy. The results were overall good but not earth shattering. More like a minor after-booster switch you can switch on when you need a lil more juice.

Power was noticeably better with no noticeable effect on EGTs when the LPG was switched on; fuel burn was a little cleaner, less smoke and less downshifting when climbing in the mnts (4-spd with tall 3/4). Overall MPGs bumped up 1-2 mpg but this was somewhat offset by the addtl. cost of LPG in terms of overall cost savings. As my old friend Keeder would say "the only free cheese is in the mousetrap!"

Keep in mind all of this was with a 1.9TDI engine and I'm not sure if my results would be the same with a gas engine.  I could see building another LPG sys for my EVW when/if I mount a permanent LPG tank on it.

Viel Späß,
Justin

2000 EVW 5-spd TDI
Justin
2000 EVW 1.9l TDI 5spd Syncro

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 10:54:17 am »
Just to add on to Justin's comments.

I had a LPG "dual fuel" set up on my petrol powered Dodge pickup. LPG makes a lot of sense in places where LPG is super cheap. Unfortunately that is not the case in 99% of the USA.

The Dodge was used as an "oil field" truck before I bought it and I'm sure the previous owner had access to cheap LPG. The engine was spotless inside with 240k on it. LPG burns nice and clean.

When I got it the dual fuel set up went unused due to the cost of LPG.
Cole

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2015, 02:10:24 pm »
Ok that's a different thing entirely than what I (perhaps mistakenly) thought Kamprknut was talking about.  A dual fuel engine that runs on gasoline OR LPG vs what I was referring to "LPG fumigation" ie, "fogging" or "fumigating" LPG into the intake air of the eng as a way to boost power output. This is controlled via a simple LPG rates solenoid valve, regulator, and a simple orifice port that controls the total # of BTUs of LPG being fogged into the air intake. There are several redundant "fail safe" features that are built into the sys to avoid dangerous situations (ie, accident eng stalls and LPG is still flowing, etc) but I guess this Turbo thread has been hacked enough so I'll leave it at that.

Back to turbos: So who wants to be the bold pioneer and do the legwork to research, purchase, fit and finish, drive and report on this?  Specifically a 2.5l 5cyl gas eng.

2000 EVW 5-spd TDI
Justin
2000 EVW 1.9l TDI 5spd Syncro

Offline Kamprknut

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 01:39:29 pm »
I'm sorry for creating the confusion. What I meant to say is that I was looking at both a turbo upgrade and or conversion to LPG. Probably both out of my skill set for a first time job. Interested to see where this goes.

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 08:30:40 am »
Well, I seem to have a "spare" 1993 Eurovan Westfalia at the moment that might make a good candidate to play with.  ;).....also needs syncro.
Cole

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 11:05:35 pm »
Here is an aftermarket kit for the 20 valve Audi 5 cylinder. http://store.034motorsport.com/turbo-kit-7a-audi-20v-5-cylinder.html

Offline Mystery machine

• Roadtrippin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2015, 09:29:02 pm »
I am considering turbocharging my '93 weekender.  However, I think 150-200hp is a better goal.  I completely understand where Cole is coming from as I made a road trip this last summer which included several Rocky Mountain passes. We made it atop Pikes Peak with calculated 65hp at that altutide.  A normally aspirated 24v would be down to about 120hp from its peak hp.  I've accumulated most of the hardware from other turbo VW's.  How many others out there are interested?

Offline lister

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 02:24:16 pm »
Now i like the sound of turbo charging this engine. The problem though is with the digifant injection. I don't think there are many options to remap it.