Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
Re: Which awning to get for EVC?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 01:55:10 pm »
I don't speak German....yet.  I have been meaning to learn. I would probably be helpful with my level of interest in German automobiles.  :o

I'm working on adding everything I can to this site. Its just a slow process.
Cole

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 04:29:08 pm »
I walk by this Eurovan all the time. I'm not sure what the brand of awning is but I think it's Fiamma. I love what they did with the awning by painting the housing. It really makes it disappear and not look quite so "added on".
I'm not sure how easy it would be to spray the housing with out also getting the fabric though.......

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 04:36:20 pm »
They are fairly easy to disassemble.

Here is a black one I did on a black van. (Stock Fiamma black, not painted by me)

Cole

Offline boinzy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 10:23:22 pm »
We use, and really like, the Kelty Carport Deluxe

Here it is configured down. In this way, we can leave the sliding door open in all but the hardest storms. We're protected from the rain, but we don't feel cooped up in the van while waiting it out.

In the standing position it's a large awning/sunshade.

Too bad they don't make them anymore.  :(

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 11:18:30 pm »

Offline Lugboot

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 07:15:58 am »
Cool to see we're not the only Carport owners!  Great pic...I didn't realize they stopped making them.
Brett

Offline Taipanchau

• We love to camp
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 10:07:20 pm »
Hello Itsamoto, you posted on May 2015 about your ARB awning for your VW EUROVAN
My husband & I own a 1995 Eurovan Camper van with poptop (EVC) which we purchased in June 1995 in very good condition.  I wanted to ask --Did you have to drill holes to get the ARB awning attached to your red Eurovan ?
We are thinking of ARB or Fiamma awning...For Fiamma we have to drill to attach the awning and of course cost is more but it has nice hand crank pole feature to pull back awning into case versus rolling the awning up manually for the ARB.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 08:32:35 pm »
Hello Itsamoto, you posted on May 2015 about your ARB awning for your VW EUROVAN
My husband & I own a 1995 Eurovan Camper van with poptop (EVC) which we purchased in June 1995 in very good condition.  I wanted to ask --Did you have to drill holes to get the ARB awning attached to your red Eurovan ?
We are thinking of ARB or Fiamma awning...For Fiamma we have to drill to attach the awning and of course cost is more but it has nice hand crank pole feature to pull back awning into case versus rolling the awning up manually for the ARB.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Yes the ARB required hard mounting of two brackets to the van (done by PO). And although it doesn't have the nice hand crack -- the ARB awning is very light and the you can get a matching tent surround to go along with it. So its got a lot of potential for upgrading -- and I think good value for an awning.

Offline erik.wahlstrom

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 05:51:15 pm »
Yes the ARB required hard mounting of two brackets to the van (done by PO). And although it doesn't have the nice hand crack -- the ARB awning is very light and the you can get a matching tent surround to go along with it. So its got a lot of potential for upgrading -- and I think good value for an awning.

And while we're at it, what kind of tires/wheels/spacers/lift etc. are you running on your red van.  It looks great and I'd I'd like to do something similar.

--Erik

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2016, 12:02:49 am »
And while we're at it, what kind of tires/wheels/spacers/lift etc. are you running on your red van.  It looks great and I'd I'd like to do something similar.

--Erik

Thanks Erik - I do like this lifted look a lot too. It really toughens-up the van -- and its actually very practical for EVC from what I've read.

Lucille's setup:

The tires are BFG All-Terain T/A @ LT215/70/R16 (on stock EV rims) -- which look awesome, and have been very durable and are properly load rated -- but a little too noisy (and probably not as fuel efficient) on the highway.

Shocks are Blistien HDs.

As these tires are oversized you have to lift the van for fender clearance -- or it will rub. The front end torsion bars are cranked up -- and the rear is actually running on (if I recall correctly) T3 syncro springs and no spacer. But if I were to do it all again -- I would definately use the .75" or 1.5" spacers sold here -- they're proven, more cost effective, and you can "tune it" by adding an extra spacer.

Check it out: http://shop.cavevan.com/collections/eurovan/products/eurovan-lift-spacers

Offline erik.wahlstrom

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2016, 06:43:37 pm »
What size spacers did you use?  I'm between the BFGs and the Geolanders.  Hmm. . .

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 01:18:24 pm »
I ended up going with a Shadyboy as I like the low weight, compact look, and the black anodized case (hopefully the image posts, it is not showing up in the preview:
Bill
1993 Syncro Weekender (5 speed Manual)

Offline AngryScot

• van/bike camping gear junky
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2016, 03:11:26 pm »
On our EVW -- we have an ARB Touring awning (supplied by PO) and it works just great. Its armature seems a bit flimsy compared the Fiamma - but its easy and light to set up. I believe it is limited to three sizes. Not sure, but I believe we have a 2500mm model (~8') -- enough for us in a short wheel base (SWB) van.

I know the cost is much cheaper than Fiamma -- but one thing I recently discovered that is a big bonus -- is that ARB also makes tents and mosquito net fittings for the awning.  :)

Check em out: http://store.arbusa.com/AWNINGS-AND-ACCESSORIES-C54.aspx

great looking rig, the awning support is attached directly to the van panels? Any close up pics install points?

Looking for roof rack options and seems like a goose chase already! :-(
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 04:44:55 pm by AngryScot »

Offline evlove

• Always in Repair
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2016, 09:09:04 pm »
Glad someone else has the ARB - we love ours.  Very adjustable for different surface levels, easy to install and packs up nicely. We also purchased the tent that clips onto the rails in about 7 minutes, folds up small and has an access door to enter the van. All said and done for just under $400, tough to beat.  Second vote for the ARB.

On our EVW -- we have an ARB Touring awning (supplied by PO) and it works just great. Its armature seems a bit flimsy compared the Fiamma - but its easy and light to set up. I believe it is limited to three sizes. Not sure, but I believe we have a 2500mm model (~8') -- enough for us in a short wheel base (SWB) van.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 09:15:42 pm by evlove »
Paul

Offline evlove

• Always in Repair
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2016, 09:13:01 pm »

Looking for roof rack options and seems like a goose chase already! :-(

Here's a link to some roof rack brackets - took me a while to find them in stock anywhere.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ARBOS850
Paul