My 1st week with my "new" 93 SYNCRO Eurovan
« on: July 29, 2015, 10:10:18 am »
I had been lusting for a Eurovan for awhile.  As I was fully immersed in the Vanagon scene for quite some time, I thought the Eurovan brought some nice features when compared to my other vans.  You still could easily camp, escape rain, play cards on the weekender table, and have a bit more modern components.  The main drawback was that we never got the Syncro version in the USA.  As I ski and bike religiously, a Syncro would be really nice to have.  I scoured the internet almost every day to see if someone who was lucky enough to import one, was getting ready to move on.  I did come across a few but the sticker price was $50k or more.  That $50k also was an entry price as each van I saw needed major work.  Finally, the holy grail appeared about a month ago: a 1993 weekender where someone imported all the Syncro parts and even had a spare viscous coupler and rear diff.  It had a high mileage 2.5 engine and was listed for $25k.  After talking to the mechanics that worked on it, I offered and bought it for an even $20k.  It was located 500 miles from my house so I had to wait a few weeks to go and pick it up due to our family's schedule.  During that time I sold my "never to be sold" restored Vanagon.

Upon pickup, I was impressed.  The PO had most major records and showed me the ins and outs of the van.  He was a cabinet maker and had crafted a great replacement table for the standard weekender one.  I drove it the long way back home, traveling Hwy 40 through Steamboat Springs, up Rabbit Ears Pass, and then completed the voyage via Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park (I even came across some Moose).  The van was a bit underpowered on the steepest of grades but was very fun to drive overall.  It is the short wheelbase model with 16" wheels so it felt more like a car than my previous vans. 

A week of driving it around town and I was anxious to do some upgrades.  I put in a new stereo and had been talking to Cole about some Cavevan improvements.  On Sunday, as I was driving to meet Cole, the front driver's side wheel popped off my van on a major highway.  I was surrounded by K-rails on both sides of me but luckily was able to control the van as it drove on one front wheel and one front rotor until the K-rails ended and I veered it into the shoulder to a stop.  There wasn't much warning and I feel lucky that we weren't hurt (my 10 month old son was sleeping in his car seat during the whole ordeal and slept another half hour on the side of the road while we waited for a tow).  An interesting start to my first week of adventures in my "new" Eurovan.

Attachments below...

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:36:25 pm by Cole »
Bill
1993 Syncro Weekender (5 speed Manual)

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
Re: My 1st week with my "new" 93 Eurovan
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 12:28:52 pm »
Wow what a start. Very glad to know you were able to safely bring the van to a stop. Tragedy averted.

I don't know how others feel about this situation -- but if you haven't removed those wheels since owning --  I would be talking to previous owner to first get a sense of what work was done when/where to those front wheels, and also to discuss the costs of the repair. Check the wheels that are the van (they do appear to be the factory wheels?) and they may not be designed for the weight of the van. You want to make sure that specifications for those are correct -- and that the proper size wheel bolts were used -- otherwise they can back out. 

EDIT: Factory wheels?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5102707-FS-15-quot-Eurovan-Alloy-Wheels-AS-Tires-and-Steel-Wheels-Snow-Tires-in-Cols-OH
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 12:53:35 pm by Itsamoto »

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 12:52:46 pm »
Can't wait to see it in person!
Cole

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 08:36:11 am »
These are factory wheels but obviously didn't come on a 93 van originally.  Proper wheel bolts are on there now.  The head scratcher on this one is that I drove from Salt Lake City to Boulder just fine, then a week around town just fine, then suddenly this happened.  I have the van back at my house now.  One thing that I have seen others post is when a wheel bearing fails / splits, it can back out the wheel.  I am just happy that we were not hurt and that the van has minimal damage.  Now that it needs a front left brake, I am going to upgrade all of them to the 2001-03 Eurovan brakes which are much larger than the stock 93 front discs and rear drums.

Wow what a start. Very glad to know you were able to safely bring the van to a stop. Tragedy averted.

I don't know how others feel about this situation -- but if you haven't removed those wheels since owning --  I would be talking to previous owner to first get a sense of what work was done when/where to those front wheels, and also to discuss the costs of the repair. Check the wheels that are the van (they do appear to be the factory wheels?) and they may not be designed for the weight of the van. You want to make sure that specifications for those are correct -- and that the proper size wheel bolts were used -- otherwise they can back out. 

EDIT: Factory wheels?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5102707-FS-15-quot-Eurovan-Alloy-Wheels-AS-Tires-and-Steel-Wheels-Snow-Tires-in-Cols-OH
Bill

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 12:15:23 pm »
Sweet rig and glad no one was hurt during your 3-wheeling adventure. Now you just need to bolt up a TDI to that thing to really wake it up in the mountains.

One thing to note: to upgrade to the rear disc brakes you will need to source rear trailing arms from a disc brake model, 97-03.  Also you will need the 294mm rotors and the caliper brackets from the 01-03 16" models along with pads, but the rear calipers themselves are the same as the 15" 97-00 models.

Justin

2000 EVW 5-spd TDI
Justin
2000 EVW 1.9l TDI 5spd Syncro

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 05:07:24 pm »
Man, your first week was worst then mine!  A wheel popping off  :o  Good luck with it, glad no one was hurt - good driving!
Dan
'Millie', a '95 EVC

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 09:58:06 am »
I think I have sourced all the needed parts from a local yard.  One question though: Do I need to use the 294mm rotors?  I know that there are also larger rotors that came on the 01-03 Eurovans.  Thanks for posting this as I would not have grabbed the caliper brackets otherwise.

Bill

Sweet rig and glad no one was hurt during your 3-wheeling adventure. Now you just need to bolt up a TDI to that thing to really wake it up in the mountains.

One thing to note: to upgrade to the rear disc brakes you will need to source rear trailing arms from a disc brake model, 97-03.  Also you will need the 294mm rotors and the caliper brackets from the 01-03 16" models along with pads, but the rear calipers themselves are the same as the 15" 97-00 models.

Justin

2000 EVW 5-spd TDI
Bill

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 10:25:49 am »
The caliper bracket mounting bolts are also larger than the early T4s. Grab those as well if you can.

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 04:11:58 am »
You mean the fronts right Rob?  The rear caliper bolts are the same iirc. FWIW, good mech sense dictates that even though they aren't TTY bolts, these are also meant to be used only once and then new 18m OE bolts sourced, p/n: N 90911801

Bill: the rear 01-03 T4 rotors are 294mm (p/n 7D0615601C), the frts 313mm (p/n 7M3615301).

Justin

2000 EVW 5-spd TDI
Justin
2000 EVW 1.9l TDI 5spd Syncro

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 08:23:26 am »
Thanks for all the replies.  I was able to get the caliper brackets and I found some good 16" wheels on craigslist locally to complete everything.  I am looking forward to having the bigger brakes and a nice ride. - Bill
Bill

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 09:40:28 am »
Yep. I mean the front bolts.

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 10:46:43 am »
Such a cool T4!

It's sitting at my house at the moment getting ready for some fun upgrades.  ;)

Picked these up the other day.

All the parts we should need for a 4 wheel/big brake conversion for the syncro. This thing should stop MUCH better when done. Also snagged a late model cup holder console for it.

Just to give a perspective of size. These are the 2001-2003 front calipers next to my size 45(about a 10.5 us) Sidi Adventure motorcycle boot.

Once I get all these parts cleaned up I will put up a comparison photo to the old parts that come off.

[/url]
Cole

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 12:36:11 pm »
Wow - fantastic, this will be a great upgrade. Cole, I've read your post before where you said the the EV brakes are actually very good -- looking forward to seeing some part comparisons.

If its ok with the owner -- can you guys post some pics of the rear set up? I'm curious to know how much of whats there is applicable for a haldex conversion.

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 02:56:48 pm »
It's ok with me to post a ton of pictures.  Obviously this upgrade also means we are switching out the wheels from 15" to 16".
Bill

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 02:57:10 pm »
Wow - fantastic, this will be a great upgrade. Cole, I've read your post before where you said the the EV brakes are actually very good -- looking forward to seeing some part comparisons.

If its ok with the owner -- can you guys post some pics of the rear set up? I'm curious to know how much of whats there is applicable for a haldex conversion.

I've got lots of pictures. I was nice to finally see one in person.

I've had the same ideas about using Haldex stuff.

I'm also picking up a 1200lb crate of Syncro conversion parts tomorrow to do another van :o

I'll post lots of pictures later!

I've been degreasing and media blasting all the parts for This van today. They are cleaning up nicely.
Cole