Offline mastermarine

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
24v VR6 low oil pressure
« on: January 29, 2023, 01:35:38 pm »
Hi,
I have low oil pressure on my AXK. It is in my 2002 VW EV. Originally the issue showed as the oil pressure light would come on after driving under load for a while and then suddenly letting off the throttle. I pulled off the oil pressure sensor and replaced with a factory OEM unit. Now the light comes on on acceleration about 2000 RPM and then goes out when returned to idle. The engine has plenty of oil and is not clattering or making weird noises.

Has someone found a oil flow drawing for the VR6 24v?

Mike

Offline mastermarine

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Re: 24v VR6 low oil pressure
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 06:40:12 pm »
I hooked up a pressure gauge set from Harbor Freight to the point where the oil pressure sensor goes and ran the engine. I found the oil pressure was great cold, warmed up, low rpm, and high rpm. I did notice the connector was easier to remove from the oil pressure sensor than those VW connectors usually are. I found a post on VW Vortex for another low oil pressure issue where someone shared a wiring diagram for the circuit. They also mentioned the oil pressure sensor (with its single lead) provides a resistance to ground (which it gets thru its body to the block). This resistance to ground is measured by the instrument cluster module. The instrument cluster module does not show low oil pressure at idle with an open circuit but does when the engine is revved up to about 2000 rpm. This had me thinking about how easy the lead was to disconnect. I think it was just not plugged in to the replacement OEM I put in earlier. I put the new OEM sensor back in and made sure the connector was all the way on. I tested it and no more oil pressure light! Hooray. I took it for a test run and no more Oil Pressure light.

So I screwed up and didn't plug the connector back on all the way when I replaced it. I hope my mistake helps someone out.