Snow Drive
« on: November 25, 2015, 06:07:57 pm »
Wondering what you guys in whiter spaces like wrapped on your rubbers in winter time?  ATL doesn't give me much experience.  I may move move the EV out to CA as use for climb & ski platform - got a free place to stow it and love the eastern Sierras cause they are fantastic.  I know we only need chains only up front (hope CHP buys into this) and have seen Gowesty offerings. 

Related - I'm thinking I want the lift for some extra space tween the steels - got a lift with your chains?

Offline iott2551

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Re: Snow Drive
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 07:23:37 pm »
For the snow I selected General Altimax Arctic tires in 235/70/16.  They are studdable, if needed, and were relatively inexpensive, i.e. ~$90. In order to fir those, I used two lift spacers on each rear, so 1.5" and the corresponding torsion adjustment in the front.  If you want to do this yourself and you like to save yourself a lot of hassle, custom tool fabrication or sore knuckles, make sure you get the torsion socket first.  It's a 27mm socket that is 140mm long, so your standard deep wall socket will not do it.  You can make one or GoWesty sells one for around $30. 
I would post a picture, but it seems I cannot upload a .jpeg image, even though it is a .jpg image.... Might be an iPad thing.