Offline erik.wahlstrom

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
GW Fox Shocks.
« on: February 16, 2016, 09:57:00 am »
Have anyone tried them? Any real advantage over the Bilstiens?

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
Re: GW Fox Shocks.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 09:06:48 am »
I don't know anything about them but I'm really tempted to pick some up while they are still on sale at GoWesty! I think they are too new in the Eurovan application for anyone to have feedback. The Vanagon crowd has used them for a bit longer and I have good feedback on them in that application.

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 02:51:32 pm »
Have anyone tried them? Any real advantage over the Bilstiens?

I have not tried them.

The theory is that with a remote reservoir that you can run more oil and it can be cooled in the remote reservoir. Thus preventing shock fade due to heat.

Not sure how much of an issue this is or isn't on the Eurovan. Kinda makes sense that it would be an issue with a heavy van and short shocks though.
Cole

Offline erik.wahlstrom

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 05:30:03 pm »
I'm still trying to figure out new wheels.  I'd like to do BF goodrich AT KO2's on a reasonable size wheel.  Once I figure it out I'll pickup a set and have them put on.   I'm tempted to try to put the tires on my stock wheels, but I can't quite figure out the exactly what I'll need to do (spacers, and torsion bars wise).

Offline mech23

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 10:13:31 am »
I have a set which will be installed in the next few weeks.  8)   Will report then on how they perform. Currently have Bilstein HD on my van. The remote reservoir is mostly to allow a larger oil volume and get the IFP away from the working piston inside the shock. It adds some cooling, but nothing like the giant off road shocks Fox makes. http://www.ridefox.com/upgrades.php?m=offroad&t=shocks&ref=topnav

Waiting for rear spring spacers (hi Cole) and upper ball joint tools to arrive before I put them on.

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 04:12:34 pm »

Waiting for rear spring spacers (hi Cole) and upper ball joint tools to arrive before I put them on.

All the spacers just went out today. I had a machine break on me so things were delayed a few days while I waited for a part to arrive.

Cole

Offline mech23

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 05:09:55 pm »
All the spacers just went out today. I had a machine break on me so things were delayed a few days while I waited for a part to arrive.

No worries, I won't have the upper ball joint tool for a week anyway.

Offline erik.wahlstrom

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 02:12:45 pm »
No worries, I won't have the upper ball joint tool for a week anyway.

When you do this, can you document the process? I'd love to see it as I may be doing the same soon.

Offline mech23

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 07:26:00 pm »
Did you mean the ball joint replacement? There are a bunch of great DIY write ups on the UK T4 forum.
Start here:
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=196418 - upper ball joint - Sealey tool guide, I have a similar tool in transit
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=73156 - upper ball joint - less tools, more brute force approach
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=211197 - lower ball joint - companion DIY to above

I will snap a few pics of the GW Fox shocks install as the remote resi in the front might be a small puzzle. Planning to mount the remote bracket using some rivnuts, but that may change once I have it all apart.

Offline erik.wahlstrom

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 06:41:40 pm »
Thanks.  I ordered a set yesterday.  Now I need to figure out spacers and tires.  It turns out I'm going to be doing this myself.  I called a local shop about installing things.  They quoted me 12 hours labor for installation of tires, shocks, spacers and a 4 wheel alignment.  They also want to charge me extra since I already have the parts.  All up it was $1800 which seems crazy.  So I'll be buying a good jack, some stands and a few other tools.  With me luck.

Offline mech23

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 07:54:55 pm »
Thanks.  I ordered a set yesterday.  Now I need to figure out spacers and tires.  It turns out I'm going to be doing this myself.  I called a local shop about installing things.  They quoted me 12 hours labor for installation of tires, shocks, spacers and a 4 wheel alignment.  They also want to charge me extra since I already have the parts.  All up it was $1800 which seems crazy.  So I'll be buying a good jack, some stands and a few other tools.  With me luck.

Best of luck! The shocks are pretty easy to install compared to changing struts on some cars.

When I put the Bilsteins on, I did need to use an electric impact wrench to get some of the bolts loose. I got one from Harbor Freight. Not the most awesome tool ever and it's kinda heavy, but for the job it was perfect and low cost. http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-heavy-duty-electric-impact-wrench-68099.html They had a nice set of impact sockets as well - you shouldn't use standard sockets with an impact wrench.

Where are you located? There might be another Eurovan person nearby who could help out if you've never done work like this before. (guessing that since you need to buy a jack, etc.)

Offline BouncyHouse

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2016, 08:22:42 pm »
My Fox shocks came about a week ago. I did the fronts. They were easy to install (well, after asking my vw mechanic neighbor a few questions). I am in the process of doing the rears. I ordered two sets of CaveVan spacers and will finish the install as soon as they arrive. The shocks came well packaged with Fox instructions and a GoWesty installation sheet. Unfortunately the GoWesty instructions were poorly copied and the photos were almost all black so I had to go to their website and look at the pics on the sales page.

Luke
Bouncy House (2002 Eurovan Weekender)

Offline erik.wahlstrom

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 08:47:52 pm »
I just ordered a set.  Question for you, where do you plan to mount the remote reservoirs? One where the reservoir is tied to the body:

And one where they are screwed to the wheel well.

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 08:25:18 am »
Those of you that have received your shocks, can you tell me what series they actually are? Are they Factory, Performance, or Evolution series shocks? I'm looking at the Fox literature just to better understand what I'd be buying and I'm confused. GoWesty lists them as Factory but Factory only has external reservoir and it appears the ones that GoWesty are selling for the rear do not have external reservoir. Also, the list price of the Factory series is significantly more than GoWesty is selling them for.... My bet is that they are Performance series, which would be fine, I'd just like confirmation. Thanks!

Offline mech23

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 08:38:20 am »
Few answers to above:

The remotes are like the third picture. The first two pictures are T3/Vanagon specific. The remote reservoir for T4/Eurovan applications have no space to be mounted on the shock body.

They are performance series.