Offline Fresh

• View Profile
Traction Control and ABS Light
« on: May 14, 2016, 07:42:23 am »
I have an 03 MV, recently the traction control light and ABS lights have started coming on randomly.  It seems to be preceded with the traction control light blinking, lose of power from the gas pedal, and a clicking noise under the passenger side of the dash, I assume that is where the relay is.  This symptom only seems to happen when making a right turn of varying degree, either a shallow curve or a hard turn.  If I let off of the gas the light will stop blinking and I get power back.  However, not too long after this and randomly both the lights will come on and stay on. 

Not sure if this is a related symptom, again just recently on engine startup air won't blow through the front air vents.  I have to drive for about 5-10 seconds and then you can hear a click from somewhere under the dash and then the air will blow normally.  I suspect this is a vacuum leak.  Within the past year or so I replaced a lot of the vacuum line.  But there must be more somewhere if this is the case.

I searched online for a few days and the only solution I found was to clean the MAF sensor as that apparently can cause some problem.  Oh, when this happens it doesn't give any OBDII codes.  Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Re: Traction Control and ABS Light
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 12:09:18 pm »
Sounds like a wheel speed sensor. A quick vag scan should tell you, otherwise you can jack up the wheel and check them with an volt/ohm meter. If it is an intermittent problem inspect the wires for physical damage or rust buildup on the toner rings. Unclip the speed sensor and put volt meter probes on the sensor terminals and spin the wheel you should get a few millivolts with a passive sensor. Check the bently for specific volt and ohm readings. Without a scan you could spend hours or days chasing the problem. It is possible that your blower problem could be related but not likely that it would not work entirely.  If you suspect vacuum start by checking the small hose on the upper center of the firewall between the heater supply hoses. The climatronic uses input from the vehicle speed sensor ( the vss) , the ambient outside temperature with the g17 (small nib on the bumper next top the license plate) and the sunlight with a photo sensor (on the dash to the left) to modulate the blower fan speed and maintain the set temperature accurately. I never had traction control on my vans so I have not studied them much but it would seem reasonable that it uses speed input and makes adjustment to the throttle control with the wheel sensors and steering angle sensor feedback. So best guess, in my opinion, would be to check the front wheel sensors (g45 and g46), but my suggestion would be to do a full vag scan first.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:06:04 pm by robinson1509 »

Offline Fresh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 06:42:00 am »
Thanks for the response Robinson.  The vacuum hose between the two coolant lines running through the firewall is secure.  I have had that one come loose before and seen its affect on the van.  Interestingly though, the no air coming through the vents until you start driving has ceased.  Not sure what that was.  I checked the speed sensors and that appeared to be working correctly.  No codes from a vagcom...I'm still experiencing the mysterious ABS and traction control lights.  When I turn off the traction control it usually delays or sometimes prevents the ABS from coming on.  If you leave the traction control on though that almost ensures that both light swill quickly come on.  Thanks for the feedback and if anyone has some ideas please keep them coming.

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 10:09:02 pm »
It is not probable your abs light  will go on without a code, unless there is a short in the indicator relay circuit. Do a full vag scan and post it here.