Offline jah

• Golden State of Mind
    • View Profile
Max Level Degrees for Norcold Refrigerator
« on: July 29, 2016, 12:48:48 pm »
Hey all.  Ever since I got my EVC I've been super careful about not running the fridge unless I'm parked pretty level.  This was based on the Norcold fridge requirements that state a 3 degree side to side and 6 degree front to back max allowable range for proper function. 

To monitor this I installed a few level indicators and put red tape at these max degree marks. I just noticed yesterday that while parked in my driveway it appears that the front to back slope falls within this 6 degree allowable variance.  This made me think that I need to be way less careful about how I park and use the fridge (as my driveway is pretty sloped as shown) but I wanted to get some feedback first.

Maybe I just never really understood this variance from the start and have been way too careful (trying to always be perfectly level).  Thanks for any help.  Heading out this weekend for a week long trip to Bend!

Offline jah

• Golden State of Mind
    • View Profile
Re: Max Level Degrees for Norcold Refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 11:39:16 am »
Just in case anyone has a similar question, I found a great site that has very helpful information about this

http://www.rialtainfo.com/winnebago/refrigerator.htm#level

Overall, I had misunderstood the side to side and front to back measurements.  It means when looking at the fridge in a EVC it's really 3 degree side to side (left to right) and 6 degrees front to back.  My driveway as shown is just over the 3 degree limit at about 4 degrees.

Offline edwasserman

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 12:04:07 pm »
I put the level indicators right up front on the driver's door and dashboard so I can have an idea of how level things are when I'm parking the van. The level is showing 4 degrees front to back. To measure left to right, you need to mount another level perpendicular to the one you took the picture of.

Offline jah

• Golden State of Mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 10:09:43 pm »
Yea, I have another one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline edwasserman

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 09:40:41 am »
Sorry, I misunderstood too. Leveling front to back for the van or the fridge since the fridge is mounted sideways. So on your picture of the level, you would want to move your tape lines in to 3 degrees.

I go with exactly what the summary on the RialtaInfo page says; if it's not level enough for me to sleep, then the van has to get moved somewhere else. I don't worry about leveling for the sake of the fridge.

I bet it still works in your driveway if you wanted to have it running on lp for some reason.

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 11:19:49 am »
I agree... I've been pretty picky about my leveling as well.  To simplify I just use the bubble level but place it on the floor of the refer.  That way I get an accurate reading of the unit.  I pulled out the refer several times to clean it and found mine does not sit level.  So I'd rather take a measurement that reflects the status of the unit vs the position of the van.  I made drive up ramps out of wood and just drive up them until the bubble is centered. I place the ramps under the tires that need elevation.  Then lock and chock.  Has worked fine for years and I don't fuss over messing with jacks and overshooting or undershooting. But I agree, leveling is key to performance and longevity for the norcold.

-tob