Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
Which awning to get for EVC?
« on: May 25, 2015, 01:38:48 pm »
Looking to get an awning for 2001 EVC. Any recommendations?
I've heard that Fiamma F45S is quite popular... Does anyone have a good quality pictures of Fiamma installed on EVC? What length would fit EVC better? How does it hold on windy days?

I don't think I need automatic, manual-operated one would do.

Thank you for any recommendations...

-albertr

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
Re: Which awning to get for EVC?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 07:37:50 am »
I'd love to see some detailed pictures and feedback on each type of awning. I know many of the sites make it hard to get a good idea of the differences between a $150 & $1,000 awning.

I've installed some of each on the Weekenders but at this point haven't spent a ton of time using them. Mostly just the Fiamma 45

I love having an awning attached for convenience of not packing one. But also love stand alone a for their versatility and being able to "mark" a camping spot.
Cole

Offline 42pvan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 08:44:41 pm »
I agree with these two! I am thinking about awnings now and would love to hear reviews and see pictures. The Fiammas look great and I thin I would go that route if I could permanently attach the legs to the side of the van so all I have to do is turn the crank. Not really thrilled with unfolding the legs and then marching them out as the awning is extended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline trbowgn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 09:41:32 am »
I put a 10' Fiamma F45S on our EVC this spring and love it.  We had the original Carefree on there and never used it because it was a pain to use.  I think the 10' fits great and the added area of coverage is nice.  The best part was that I was able to modify the Fiamma brackets and use the rivet nuts from the Carefree so my install was super easy.

I looked and looked at other options and hanging out with the Vanagon guys saw what they used.  Although not cheap, the Fiamma is just so easy to set up and can be done by one person very easily in less than 5 minutes.  We tend to travel like vagabonds and rarely spend more than two nights in one location.  This means I look for camping gear that is quick set up and tear down, why we bought an EVC to start with. 

Also like Cole said not having to pack it is a big deal to me.  One of our goals is to be able to camp without having to put anything outside of the Van. When we are packed the only thing I have in the area behind the back seat is our bags with our clothes and only thing on the floor is the beer cooler strapped to the back of the passenger seat. We can stop, pop top and be sleeping without ever opening the van up or going outside. Basically we can sleep in a parking lot and not have to put things outside or feel cramped by keeping things in the van. So anything I can strap or bolt on and not have inside is even better. 

Here are the best picks I have so far.  Let me know if you need a certain angle or dimension and I can grab it when I get home.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:50:04 am by trbowgn »
Kyle O.
95 EVC 5cyl 5spd

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 08:35:27 pm »
Thanks, that's really helpful! On your setup the 10' awning doesn't extend past the rear door, correct? It's not clear from the pictures, just want to make sure...

-albertr

Offline trbowgn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 07:04:15 am »
No it does not, I mounted it as far forward as possible yet still be able to attach the legs to the van and not interfere with the passenger door.
Kyle O.
95 EVC 5cyl 5spd

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 11:33:47 am »
Kyle, thanks for confirmation!

-albertr

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 10:55:53 pm »
On our EVW -- we have an ARB Touring awning (supplied by PO) and it works just great. Its armature seems a bit flimsy compared the Fiamma - but its easy and light to set up. I believe it is limited to three sizes. Not sure, but I believe we have a 2500mm model (~8') -- enough for us in a short wheel base (SWB) van.

I know the cost is much cheaper than Fiamma -- but one thing I recently discovered that is a big bonus -- is that ARB also makes tents and mosquito net fittings for the awning.  :)

Check em out: http://store.arbusa.com/AWNINGS-AND-ACCESSORIES-C54.aspx

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 05:51:47 am »
I don't know where I saw it, but I think a company in Germany sells an awning that not only goes out sideways  but also can wrap around the back with the lift gate up.  So it will create 2 rooms .. fully enclosed like a tent.  There was even a model that would let you unclip from the tent and drive away. So you could go off on a day trip and come back at night

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 07:56:00 am »
Cole

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 12:29:11 pm »
I have written about 3 types of awnings (Fiamma, CafeFree, ShadyBoy) here: http://1705.net/archives/806
95 EVC
1705.net
Thanks to everyone I forget to thank!

Offline 42pvan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 12:30:38 am »
My wife and used a "parawing" on our kayaking trips in SE Alaska to give us a dry spot in the perpetual rain there. I was wondering if you could set up something similar on a Eurovan. Take a triangular piece of fabric, make 2 hooks on the van roof, have a single support pole for the final corner, and use guy lines to hold the pole in place. If the pole was adjustable, you could have it high for shade without feeling closed in. If it rained, the pole could be shortened to shed water better. The parawing was pretty east to setup and was stable in winds and worked great in the rain. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Lugboot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 12:21:23 pm »
I am pretty interested in a Fiamma or a FoxWing, but I would need to see the FoxWing first.

In the meantime, we use a Kelty Carport Deluxe.  It takes maybe 5-10 minutes to set up, but it can either be used down as a side tent or up with the included poles as a massive awning.  When it's down, it has side flaps for privacy, so it's like a changing room.

It can also be used on its own as a shelter without the vehicle, set up as a lean-to.

Here's a few pics, one of a FoxWing from their site and then the Kelty on our van.

Brett

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 12:19:49 pm »
FWIW, I just signed up with Fiamma as a dealer. So I will be adding their stuff to the CaveVan store soon.  ;)
Cole

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 01:51:08 pm »
Accessories!!! I need the 7mm awning clips for my Fiamma - the "standard" awning clips sold by most RV places are too big.

Screen room additions, tie downs, etc, etc!

While you are at it, maybe become a Reimo dealer? https://www.reimo.com/en/. I mean really, look at all the cool stuff on just this page: https://www.reimo.com/en/D-accessories_store/DJ-camping_tableware_home_care/DJK-organizers_utensilos/

Do you speak German?  ;D
95 EVC
1705.net
Thanks to everyone I forget to thank!