Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
Re: Project Lucille -- EVW VR6 Manual Conversion
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2016, 10:38:37 pm »
+1 on the back latch mod...   I really like the automatic opening / closing doors on the dodge caravan / chrysler town and country.... And I think there was a mercury minivan in late nineties that also has this feature.   Wireless activation of open/close mechanism by a keyfob though in newer dodge minivans is Sooo Freaking nice... And convenient, and impresses people too!!

...tapped out with just a thumb

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2016, 12:33:50 pm »
Hi Albert,

Sorry for the late reply. I really don't think I can be of much help with this -- but I'm sure it could be figured out with the schematic. I hadn't read that GoWesty article before -- and now (thanks to you) I know that I should make sure the passenger side door lock actuator is set to slave. And I know this from experience after getting myself locked out Lucille (while she was running) at -30C for 1 hour.  >:(

I assume you want the doors to lock when the van begins to move, but not necessarily unlock just because you put into park? There is some logic there that needs to be worked out -- otherwise you could just tie into Park-Nuetral-Position relay (J226) that is located in the lower part of the centre dash console. Tied in, you could have it so once the van is shifted out of park (and the PNP relay opens) -- that the doors could lock automatically. But in doing so without another logic -- would this mean everytime you put the van into park (with the ignition on) the van would unlock? Hmmmm... I don't know.  :D

That being said -- if there is one thing I would really like for somebody to figure out is to make the rear hatch release on command. Maybe its not so useful, but all my other VW's of this vintage all have a separate hatch/trunk release which I find very useful (or I'm conditioned to expect) -- with 3 button key fobs vs 2 button for the EV.  :)

Sorry, haven't been on the forum for a while and just saw your post. I think hooking up to J226 relay would be all that I need.  Can program some delay into micro-controller, but it doesn;t need to be sophisticated. Thanks for suggestion!

-albertr

Offline Phaeton

• Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2016, 03:38:09 pm »
+1 on the back latch mod...   I really like the automatic opening / closing doors on the dodge caravan / chrysler town and country.... And I think there was a mercury minivan in late nineties that also has this feature.   Wireless activation of open/close mechanism by a keyfob though in newer dodge minivans is Sooo Freaking nice... And convenient, and impresses people too!!

...tapped out with just a thumb

I wonder if we could just take the mechanism out of a BMW e39 touring or similar car and pop it into ours.

Ideally I wish we could work with GoWesty or a similar T4 outfit to work with Stabilus to make a power hatch retrofit possible. Their Powerise system (used in most OEM applications) would work great.

http://www.aliexpress.com/popular/electric-tailgate.html
There are some kits here.

I think this is a possible retrofit. One would need to retrofit an additional rfid/nfc chip into the keyfob or have and extra rfid/nfc chip on the keychain. While we're at it lets retrofit electric sliding doors: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:G743AviPT4YJ:www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php%3Ft%3D181725+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

He used to have a video on YouTube but has since taken it down.

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2016, 01:36:29 pm »
Itsamoto, just want to check in, looking forward to see more updates on your progress!

Do you have any pictures of water pumps used on AXK and BDF VR6's? I'm curious to see what are the stamping on these pumps? Are they VAG-branded or supplied by third party?

-albertr

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2016, 10:53:46 pm »
Itsamoto, just want to check in, looking forward to see more updates on your progress!

Do you have any pictures of water pumps used on AXK and BDF VR6's? I'm curious to see what are the stamping on these pumps? Are they VAG-branded or supplied by third party?

-albertr

Hi Albert

Sorry for the lack of updates on the van -- too many side projects. I really am hung up on the suspension because to come this far this many things removed from the van, it should be a no brainer to just refurb it all while I am there but I can't find the courage (or space) to pull all of it out. Ideally I would sand blast the crud off it- then powder coat or paint it to protect it from rusting. At the moment there is a lot of crud which looks bad, but it seems to be mostly surface oxidization. I'm thinking hard on the Power-flex bushings as well - but its pretty pricey.

As for the water pumps, I did take some pictures of them, which I'm not sure if I ever shared. The pumps are the same, save for the pulley (which accounts for the different offsets between the two engines). On hand I had 2 plastic impeller pumps and one metal impeller. The plastic ones are actually the OEM VW and they are stamped (both the pump-housing and the pulley). The pump housing with the plastic impeller reads as PN# 022-121-019. The metal impeller pump is on the engine, so I will have to dig a bit to get the number (I'm interested now too).

From my other VW's, I'm confident in using the metal impeller pump on Lucille (I don't recall which engine I got it off of - I think it was Lucille's original engine). The plastic impellers, in theory should work fine and have less wear on the bearing -- but after time the plastic impeller becomes so brittle that it just crumbles in your hand once you start touching it. Very common on this vintage of VW's that a plastic impeller is used and stories of overheating cars due to an impeller which sheds it fins! Now, would that actually happen inside a sealed working engine? -- I don't know perhaps, there are many claims of this happening. The plastic impeller would fail 100% though if a foreign object got into the coolant stream and travelled to the pump.

Here's some pics to share on the differences:

Water Pumps

L-R: AXK, BDF

Water Pump Pulley Offset Difference

L-R: AXK, BDF

The pulleys are actually about the same thickness, its just the mounting face heights differ a lot:

Pulleys off Pump

Water Pump Impellers

L-R: Metal impeller, Plastic impeller

Platic Impeller w/broken fins

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:26:35 pm by Itsamoto »

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2016, 09:36:49 am »
Thanks, Itsamoto! I believe AXK engines on EuroVan's were using pumps with metal impellers. I was given the following P/N - 021-121-004 which supposedly has metal impellers, but no VW dealers stock them locally, so I cannot verify.

P/N 022-121-019 with plastic impellers - probably ones which were used on Golf/Jetta's with BDF engine?

Looking forward to seeing updates on Lucille project!

-albertr

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
Re: Project Lucille -- Clusters
« Reply #141 on: August 05, 2016, 02:40:05 pm »
Blue Clock Clusters

Top to Bottom: Automatic Eurovan Canadian-market, Manual Jetta Canadian-market -- different but the same.

Ok here is some interesting and new stuff regarding the Eurovan "blue clock" cluster. There really isn't much out there on this (as far as I can tell) - there is a thread from back in '04 where some guys were trying to swap an EV cluster into a Cabrio. Interestingly they noted how similar the late model EV was to the 3.5 Cabrio in terms of interior (switches etc) -- sort of caught between Mk3 and Mk4 style evolutions. Maybe this cluster swap info needs its own thread  -- an interesting topic that could be fleshed out more. Its actually one of my favourite things about this generation of VW - the blue/red cluster. I've owned a couple of Mk4 Jettas and B5.5 Passat (with a MAF cluster) and now 2 vans -- so the blue cluster feels "right" to me, its second nature.

As Lucille is originally an American-market van, it's cluster face is predominantly imperial "miles" and here, I would prefer it to be in KM. It sort helps keep the speeding tickets down. :laugh: So shortly after I bought the van - I was collecting parts (rear bench headrests of course) for the van and the seller happened to have a Canadian-market van and had swapped the cluster out for an imperial cluster. So yay for me - metric cluster! I used the famous page from the UK T4 group as a basis for verifying what I was going to buy (Linkage: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=86937).

So I've had that Canadian-EV cluster on the shelf for quite a while - and never got around to installing it. Then when I parted the 03 MK4 GLI -- I kept the cluster, key and ECU as I knew it was a mated set (for immobilizer 3). Well just on a hunch, I thought we should put these clusters side by side to see if there was more than just a resemblance and see if they were swappable. This works for me as I;m going to a manual setup, but the principle is the same for all the other late-model vans out there - because it means finding a metric or imperial cluster is that much easier, and now you can upgrade to trip computer and nav-integrated clusters as well (such as the MAF and FIS models). I'm not going to touch the material around immobilizer 2 and 3 -- or how to reprogram or delete the immobilizer here. I don't know it well enough -- and there are plenty of good writeups on it that have been generated by hyper-miling tdi fanatics. The trip computers here allow all that fancy mileage tracking, and fuel estimations to be made -- although this mod also requires a special stock-arm that allows the driver to interface with the computer. Worth exploring - this is a good upgrade - Link: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=48366

So here is a quick swap using my two extra clusters to look at...

Looking at the cluster shape -- the plastic lens are at such dramatically different angles, and the overall shape seems so much different, different mounting tabs, etc  -- that you would think these are two different animals. But if you look at them from behind, they use the same connections, and the cluster actually splits in half (front/back) and that's what makes the cluster swap possible. BTW - these are both VDO made clusters, apparently there are also Bosch-made blue clusters (MAF and FIS models I suspect).

Rear Harness Connection

Top to Bottom: Eurovan Canadian-market, Jetta Canadian-market

Cluster Case Clips

Lined up back to back -- there are 4 clips along the top, and then (not shown) there are 2 clips on the bottom and then 2 T10 screws on the side that hold/separate the front fascia half from the cluster electronics half.

Cluster Electronics

So for me -- this swap basically gets me metric and drops the transmission selector display (it will also align my milage indicator with the motor). And if you didn't know this yet, but those cluster faces are removable - and there are bunches of after-market customizable clock faces available for the Mk4 platform.

Now there are some differences to these in terms of warning lights/locations - but I think the addressing is the same (so less of an issue). I used a flash light and peeled the face plates up enough to illuminate the panel.

Where the EV has this...

Eurovan EPC dash light

The MK4 has this...

Mk4 Immobilzer dash light

And, where the EV has this...

Eurovan: 6 warning lights in "centre"

The MK4 has this...

Mk4: 8 warning lights in "centre"

The extras here being "door open", "hood open" and "bulb out indicator" .

Guess we'll have to wait and see if these will stay out if I install it in the van. :)

And finally... swap the front fascia and snap it back together....

Manual cluster for EV

EDIT -- I just noticed that on the new assembly -- that the control knobs are longer on the MK4 cluster and so stick out even further (+ 8-10mm) on the EV fascia. Certainly something that can be easily swapped as well.

It's interesting to see how many varieties of these dashboard clusters VW is using on these vans. Something was bothering me for awhile, but I just recently realized that there's no "open door" indicator light available on the cluster used in my 2001 EVC (Winnebago conversion)... Doh!

-albertr

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #142 on: August 05, 2016, 06:42:42 pm »
It's interesting to see how many varieties of these dashboard clusters VW is using on these vans. Something was bothering me for awhile, but I just recently realized that there's no "open door" indicator light available on the cluster used in my 2001 EVC (Winnebago conversion)... Doh!

-albertr

On a second thought, maybe I just got a blown bulb in the cluster? Will have to take a look to see why it's not coming up when opening doors.

-albertr

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 05, 2016, 09:04:07 pm »
On a second thought, maybe I just got a blown bulb in the cluster? Will have to take a look to see why it's not coming up when opening doors.

-albertr

The open door signal is only on that mk4 cluster I was playing with.

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #144 on: August 19, 2016, 10:53:07 am »
Thanks, Itsamoto. In case you are replacing the old water pump in Lucille, which brand you will be using as a replacement? It looks like VAG don't stock new EuroVan water pumps in the US anymore (original P/N 021121004A), all they have are re-manufactured ones (P/N 021121004X) according to local VW dealer. Not sure if it's the same in Canada, thou. I feel abit hesitant of using a re-manufactured part, but quality of aftermarket (Hepa, Febi, Meyle, Graft, etc) makes me worry.

-albertr

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 19, 2016, 11:00:26 am »
Has anyone upgraded their entire eurovan dash to the 03 style to run an mk4 cluster? My 97 square style is looking really dated

Inscribed with just two thumbs...

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 19, 2016, 01:09:32 pm »
Thanks, Itsamoto. In case you are replacing the old water pump in Lucille, which brand you will be using as a replacement? It looks like VAG don't stock new EuroVan water pumps in the US anymore (original P/N 021121004A), all they have are re-manufactured ones (P/N 021121004X) according to local VW dealer. Not sure if it's the same in Canada, thou. I feel abit hesitant of using a re-manufactured part, but quality of aftermarket (Hepa, Febi, Meyle, Graft, etc) makes me worry.

-albertr

This GEBA one might fit the bill: http://www.urotuning.com/Water-Pump-24v-VR6-p/022121011.htm

A rebuilt one can't be all that bad though -- which means there must be a non-destructive method to replacing the bearing. Something worth figuring out. I'm in the metal impeller camp though -- having seen how easily the plastic impeller fins break.

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 19, 2016, 01:14:23 pm »
Has anyone upgraded their entire eurovan dash to the 03 style to run an mk4 cluster? My 97 square style is looking really dated

I'm pretty certain our friends across the pond do this  -- google VW T4 blue clock conversion. It's all in the semantics  -  calling them "blue clocks".  :D

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=85919

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 19, 2016, 01:21:30 pm »
Awesome!!! All I need is a new cluster surround. Same dash

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 05, 2017, 12:47:41 pm »
Here is what I got from my kit for the hydraulic line. I put the throw-out bearing housing there as well to see the whole line (minus the master clutch cylinder).

02G Clutch Hydraulic Lines

Now from what I gather, looking at ETKA diagrams and what not -- it looks like I have an extra line included here (the long twisty line shown centre bottom). Otherwise, starting from the bottom right corner, going counter clockwise, the items are:

Pressure pipe 701721461E (goes from clutch master cylinder and passes through firewall) -- has the firewall pass grommet on it.

The top line shown here is actually an assembly of different parts as well.

There is an T connection housing(701721451A), that receives the first pressure pipe line. This T-junction also has bleed valve on it. Looking at ETKA -- this appears to be an optional fitting. From here a short run of pressure pipe (701721462A) connects into a black coupler (no part number) and then to a long pressure line with a flexible portion. This pressure pipe is a variation of part number 7D1721477D - -but which variation probably depends on your transaxle's code.  That line then connects to a coupler - shown top left -- that connects the pressure line assembly to the clutch slave cylinder.
Regarding the clutch line... Vw doesn't make the line for the eurovan 5sp anymore.  So I had a ss line made from Parker hoses and fittings.  For my 1.9tdi, 02d setup the line is 30" long with 2 90 degree m12.1 fittings. One fitting is offset by 90 degrees.
I also replaced all my brake lines to ss while I was doing this.

just 2 thumbs, beware typos