Offline erik.wahlstrom

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Need a new engine
« on: September 09, 2017, 11:11:40 am »
The moron is out and it's not looking good.  The VR6 is all gummed up and the shop doesn't know if they can really fix it.  It won't be much more to throw a new engine in it. The problem is, where to source an engine for a 2002 Weekender?  Thoughts?

--Erik

Offline evlove

• Always in Repair
    • View Profile
Re: Need a new engine
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 12:10:13 pm »
Keep an eye out on some of the bigger forums - members often have some VR6's for sale. I've seen them for as low as $2k with low miles.
Paul

Offline evlove

• Always in Repair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 12:53:43 pm »
I haven't had to replace an engine but I've read a bunch about how the BDF blocks can replace the Eurovan AXK blocks. Just need to swap a few parts from the old block (tensioner, valve cover, oil pan, etc.).  The BDF motors are much easier to find and probably less expensive...  check ebay, there's quite a few for sale now.   
Paul

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 06:20:30 pm »
It is more work to pull the engine than it is to overhaul. If the top end is good parts and machine work probably would be around $2500.00 then you can reassemble it in a weekend. You could over bore the cylinders to 83mm and have a 3L. When it's done you have a new engine. If your shop won't  do an overhaul you should find one that can.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 06:42:45 pm by robinson1509 »

Offline erik.wahlstrom

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 11:20:28 am »
Well, I got a full rebuild.  It ran great (notice past tense). . . . For 20 miles.  Then died.  Towed back to the shop.  Engine back out and at the rebuild shop.  Maybe a broken chain?  I'll find out soon.

Offline Grandpa Rick

• Sometimes I miss my Syncro Westy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 11:57:10 pm »
Well, I got a full rebuild.  It ran great (notice past tense). . . . For 20 miles.  Then died.  Towed back to the shop.  Engine back out and at the rebuild shop.  Maybe a broken chain?  I'll find out soon.

So what was it?  Hopefully nothing serious. 

Sometimes I miss my Syncro Westy.

Offline erik.wahlstrom

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 08:33:47 pm »
Truth be told I never found out. Got it back a week later and it’s been smooth sailing 600miles and no problems other than a minor smell of gas. That scares me but we’ll see. It goes back in next week for an oil change and they’ll look at the file lines and things.