Offline geoduch

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Gasoline Fumes
« on: September 11, 2017, 12:26:37 pm »
Howdy Folks,
I have a 1993 Westfalia with a 2.5L gas motor and a 5 speed manual transmission.  Fairly regularly I get gas fumes in the cabin. There are no visible leaks.
Is the gas cap vented and therefore release fumes into the open driver's window?
Is there a breather/overflow hose that is subject to breaking or popping off?

Anyone know how to fix the issue?

Sent from my SAMSUNG using Tapatalk and my thumbs... pardon my typos

Offline Grandpa Rick

• Sometimes I miss my Syncro Westy...
    • View Profile
Re: Gasoline Fumes
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 10:26:46 pm »
I have this occasionally in my 03.  A mechanic suggested a bad/clogged line to the charcoal cannister that deals with fuel vapors from the tank.  It's at the firewall so if it's bad it is possible vapors would head up to the fresh air intake. 
Sometimes I miss my Syncro Westy.

Offline geoduch

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 01:49:05 pm »
I have this occasionally in my 03.  A mechanic suggested a bad/clogged line to the charcoal cannister that deals with fuel vapors from the tank.  It's at the firewall so if it's bad it is possible vapors would head up to the fresh air intake.
Thank you. I'll investigate this route.

Sent from my SAMSUNG using Tapatalk and my thumbs... pardon my typos

Offline Los182

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 03:06:58 pm »
Don't quote me on this, but while crawling under my van, I think I've seen a vent valve off of the evap carbon canister.

Offline Milracing

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 03:31:16 am »
Hi! I know this is totally out of place. I was admiring the hell out of this build btw…. But I just opened an account here and wanted to introduce myself but I can only reply to posts; can’t seem to create a new post. So sorry! I’m Seth, love in Lafayette Co, just acquired a 99 gls that is eventually like to do some camping in. I’m trying to decide if I should improvise a bed or try to locate the proper rear seat. I have several years as a bmw tech I’m a past life (work as a respiratory therapist now), and am just getting starting led with the laundry list of things this van needs to be safe and, sog I hope, reliable. I really admire the effort you all  put into your machines. Back in the 90s I had an old bus and I’m still punishing myself for selling it. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Now I can’t afford one, or a bmw e30, or a bmw 2002, but I digress. Please have a happy, safe new year with no more fires, pandemics or other such buzz kill. Thank you.

Offline etbandung

• Guru Bahasa Inggris
    • View Profile
    • Kursus Bahasa Inggris Di Bandung
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 05:41:35 am »
welcome to the club man hope u had a good time around
Kursus Bahasa Inggris Di Bandung
 , Jakarta , Medan , Makkassar , Jogja , Semarang .kunjungi kantor dan website kami di English Today