Offline evlove

• Always in Repair
    • View Profile
Slow Crank, No Start
« on: January 15, 2018, 04:59:07 pm »
Just replaced a leaky thermostat housing with the fancy cast aluminum from UroTuning - looked so pretty!  It went on my 2001 MV after the old plastic one leaked for a month before I got a minute to get the job done.

Once I filled it back up with coolant, I looked over the motor for anything else going on, replaced the air filter, cleaned up the MAF, changed the oil, replaced a few vacuum hoses, brake pads, etc.  Once I wrapped it all up and hopped in to start it up and all I got was a slow chug, chug, chug, chug...

Naturally, I thought maybe the battery was dying so I put it on a charger overnight despite having a good charge.  Its a new battery, but you never know.  Tried again the morning to the same slow turn of the motor.  I checked all the electrical connections between the battery and the starter, grounds to the engine and they all looked good.  So I turned to the starter thinking it was going bad. Decided to clean up the connections a bit and try again when the solenoid housing cracked offer so I put on a new starter/solenoid only to have the same slow turn. 

Any suggestions?  I don't have a VAG, but a common code reader isn't producing any codes - except low coolant from prior to doing the work.  Your help is always welcomed!   
Paul

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Re: Slow Crank, No Start
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 05:13:38 pm »
I would try to jump start it with some good cables. I have had a few new batteries with bad cells. The voltage can be okay and not have the amperage to crank the engine. Also check your ground wires. If your battery is new it should be warrantied.

Offline evlove

• Always in Repair
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 05:16:12 pm »
I would try to jump start it with some good cables. I have had a few new batteries with bad cells. The voltage can be okay and not have the amperage to crank the engine. Also check your ground wires. If your battery is new it should be warrantied.

Thanks Robinson, tried jumping from another battery and from another car with the same slow crank. So strange. 

Im wondering if I messed up the MAF somehow, but that shouldn't cause a slow crank...  right? 
Paul

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 05:48:00 pm »
The maf would have nothing to do with that. When you jump start it try to connect the ground jumper somewhere on the engine.

Offline evlove

• Always in Repair
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 07:17:36 pm »
The maf would have nothing to do with that. When you jump start it try to connect the ground jumper somewhere on the engine.

Just tried that, no dice. Same if I put the ground on one of the bolts of the starter. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 07:41:27 pm »
Are your jumper cables heavy duty? Is it below zero where you are? Did you try to bump up the rpms on the other car while starting?  If the starter is new, the key is engaging the solinoid, all wires and connections are good from the battery, and battery terminals are clean and tight I would say battery. If you are careful and know what you are doing you could try jumping hot at the starter that would eliminate the possibility of a bad wire or connection.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:46:47 pm by robinson1509 »

Offline evlove

• Always in Repair
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 08:11:40 pm »
Are your jumper cables heavy duty? Is it below zero where you are? Did you try to bump up the rpms on the other car while starting?  If the starter is new, the key is engaging the solinoid, all wires and connections are good from the battery, and battery terminals are clean and tight I would say battery. If you are careful and know what you are doing you could try jumping hot at the starter that would eliminate the possibility of a bad wire or connection.

Yep, heavy duty jumpers I made from 2 ga welding cable. 

I’m wondering if it’s a bad ground.  It’s been leaking coolant for quite a while based on all the build up and the main motor ground is right under the leaky housing. I thought of a hot start, likely try that tomorrow just to see what happens.  Otherwise, I’ll replace all the grounds to see if that makes the difference.  They’re original and cleaned them up a few times before for other issues, due to be changed I suppose. 

Appreciate the additional perspective, I’ll keep you posted as I sort it out.  And yes, it’s below freezing here - really wishing for that heated garage now.  :)

Paul

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 08:40:18 pm »
It has been below zero here too had to leave the charger on for an hour before it would crank over. My battery is probably 2 years old. I would check the main ground and recheck your connections. You can bring your battery to the place you got it to have them do a load test on it.

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 04:40:50 pm »
Have you fixed your starting problem yet?

Offline evlove

• Always in Repair
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 12:18:29 am »
It has been below zero here too had to leave the charger on for an hour before it would crank over. My battery is probably 2 years old. I would check the main ground and recheck your connections. You can bring your battery to the place you got it to have them do a load test on it.

Replaced all the grounds and cleaned up the battery terminals.  Tried starting again, it was slow but finally fired.  Once it started and ran for a bit it has cranked quickly ever since.  Now it’s a bit slower to fire, cranks for 3-4 seconds or sometimes on a second crank when the engine is warm. 

I took it into the shop to have them troubleshoot the lengthy crank but they couldn’t figure it out either.  Otherwise it’s running strong at 175k miles.

Paul