Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
Show us your stereo!
« on: June 08, 2015, 07:19:01 pm »
I've been sitting here researching car stereos. There are some amazing units for cheap these days.

But, I'd like to see what everyone is using.

Be honest, tell us how you like it.

Show us pictures so we can see how they look in the Eurovan!

Just to keep this interesting. I installed this in "Night Fury" for the new owner.

It was a few years old. $600ish new, but today I think you can buy better stereos with more features for right around $100.

I also painted parts of the face and trim to make it look nicer in the van.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:22:52 pm by Cole »
Cole

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
Re: Show us your stereo!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 08:37:20 pm »
here's my double-din parrot "asteroid smart":

http://www.iral.com/~albertr/EVC/stereo.html

-albertr

Offline Micah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 06:22:57 am »
I've been looking for a good replacement speaker for the 4.5 stock speakers in the rear side panels. Do you have any suggestions? Have you found a replacement that works well with the stock setup?

Thanks,

Micah

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 04:10:01 pm »
Cole

Offline kjeff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 07:47:35 pm »
It's not cheap and you could modify your own but a Reinforcement bar for a double din stereo install is available

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 07:56:03 pm »
I've considered that. Many times. I think using something like the Apple Play Alpine ILX-007 might make it so that only part of the bar needs trimmed since it has such a shallow mounting depth.

http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/carplay-ilx-007/
Cole

Offline kjeff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 10:27:23 pm »
I love that Apple Play... Saw them at Best Buy, just not sure I want to jump through the hoops it would require to do it right

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 05:52:51 am »
I've got an 03 Weekender with a blown rear right speaker.  Was thinking I'd replace with the Pioneers that GoWesty pitches.  Anyone know why they say 'install is a bit tricky, recommend pro install?'

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23319&category_id=355&category_parent_id=

I've been looking for a good replacement speaker for the 4.5 stock speakers in the rear side panels. Do you have any suggestions? Have you found a replacement that works well with the stock setup?

Thanks,

Micah

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 09:04:20 am »
On the rear speakers, the grille snaps into the factory speaker frame.

I have not done it, but the only way I can see to put a replacement speaker in there is to cut the factory speaker out of the frame and mount a new speaker in that frame if you want to keep the factory grille. Not impossible at all but a little "tricky" is probably a good description. :-)

Offline Marshy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 11:18:46 am »
From what i've read, possibly on the vortex, (but can't confirm) the VW VOLK-L OEM head unit should plug and play with our vans.
It's double-din at the face, but single-din behind so it will clear the knee bar.
Lights match the factory red/indigo and there's much less risk of a broken window.
Has built in CD player with mP3, Aux in, USB port and bluetooth. Even the mic for phone calls is built into the face.
Anyone want to risk the $500 to see if its compatible?

Offline Lugboot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 11:50:15 am »
This is a timely thread--looking to replace the stereo before our road trip to CO.  Was wandering around Crutchfield's site yesterday and am leaning towards this one:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wVhrOZCb9UN/p_113KDCX599/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X599.html?tp=5684

Thoughts?
Brett

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 01:04:12 pm »
Mine is the Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT.  I like it well enough - seemed pretty reasonable at $160 shipped.

I like that the install took 5 minutes - pop out / pop in.  Sounds good.  BT phone calls work well.  USB works ok (sometimes shits itself trying to read iPhone and unit must power cycle.)  Tactical nav on map apps is nice versus Garmin/ipod set up in my 4Runner (can't hear the Garmin if enjoying music at volume.) iPhone is always charged.  Especially like the remote control that came with it - keep it in the back and can adjust volume if needed. 

I wish that streaming BT music had more signal, looses too much for my liking.  I'd rather have my dedicated 160gb 6th gen iPod cradled permanently but the head unit takes over the interface of the iPod and creates a horrible user experience.  If I could do this, I'd put the iPod in center console and wire to back of head unit.  Also - and I think this is more of an EV thing - I have to power it up each time I start the van - doesn't seem to remember it was on.

I really, really like the look of that Alpine Apple Carplay unit - that's the shit.

btw - iPhone mount is from 'ProClip' works well.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 01:14:30 pm by Suthernvanman »

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 04:48:59 pm »
From what i've read, possibly on the vortex, (but can't confirm) the VW VOLK-L OEM head unit should plug and play with our vans.
It's double-din at the face, but single-din behind so it will clear the knee bar.
Lights match the factory red/indigo and there's much less risk of a broken window.
Has built in CD player with mP3, Aux in, USB port and bluetooth. Even the mic for phone calls is built into the face.
Anyone want to risk the $500 to see if its compatible?

You can swap in this stereo without changing the stereo cage to a double DIN unit (which is a pain in the butt). But you do need the trim piece below the unit, as the stock trim piece covers the climatronic and the dash cubby.

The trim piece is part number: 7D182007501C

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 04:52:05 pm »
Well I just bought a couple of these! One for my Blu.O van and one for the unspoken for nameless black MV I'm about to convert.(it came without a stereo)

Bluetooth, pandora, iHeart Radio, CD(for the old skool),  etc.

I was planning on buying the JVC above @$89 but these Sonys defiantly looked and felt higher quality in person. $80 more but I don't want to put anything cheap feeing in a van.
Cole

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 07:38:42 pm »
Cole