Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
Re: Installing solar batteries on EVC plastic pop-top roof?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 10:31:49 am »
The issue with self-deforming in one of these bendable panels turned out to the internal defect in one of its solar cells. It developed short circuit and rapidly overheated melting plastic and catching up fire! Luckly I was around when it happened and saw smoke and fire flames coming up the roof!

Before putting the fire off, I had to grab my camera to make this "historical" shot below... brand new panel (still has protective plastic on) is burning in flames!

Can only imagine what it could possibly do to EVC plastic roof...

-albertr
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:50:46 am by albertr »

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 01:05:44 pm »
Yikes!!!! :(

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 08:41:58 am »
Here's a full review of my solar panels setup: http://www.iral.com/~albertr/EVC/solar/solar.html

-albertr

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2015, 11:03:02 pm »
It was definitely worth it for me. Every watt matters, and sunlight is free as far as I'm concerned. Still trying to find a high-output alternator (250A +) for EuroVan so I can charge my house batteries while driving. My original alternator is 120A and is not up to the task of charging 300Ah house batteries ;-)

Once alternator issue is solved, I'm hoping to become completely self-sufficient and should be able to ditch shoreline and my portable propane generator altogether.

-albertr

Why won't the 120A alternator do the job...wouldn't it just take longer? 
Dan
'Millie', a '95 EVC

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2015, 03:30:44 pm »
120A alternator doesn't cut for me. My battery charger draws more that 50A and there's no way I can limit it.
I have upgraded to 220A alternator since then and it works fine to power up my charger if engine RPMS are above idle.

-albertr

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 12:11:46 pm »
There are flexible solar panels meant for boat decks which I think are made in France. Am asking if anyone has mounted these inside of rigid glass-covered panels. Theoretically, these would result in even less height addition, and also remove the air space underneath.

Thanks

W. Li