Offline trbowgn

• View Profile
Fixing the Cruise Control How To
« on: May 29, 2015, 12:27:21 pm »
From reading on Yahoo and other places it sounds like the Hella cruise control modules used on our vans is prone to failure.  Mine gave up the ghost about 2,300 miles from home last summer and made for a long trip back.
The symptoms that my cruise displayed was that at first it would take a couple of times for it to catch and then it would not work until I cycled the van on and off, and then it just quit working all together. 

So I found out the the module on my 95 and probably most other years is above the glovebox almost at the center where the latch is.

To get to it I removed the Glove box which was held in by 8 screws inside of the box, a bolt on the side of the dash, and a connector for the lamp. I also removed the passenger side vent.  The vent fins should pop off and then there is a screw  to remove the housing.

With the glove box removed and the vent removed you can see the module through the vent hole and I reached up underneath to get at the two screws holding the module down.  I used a 1/4" ratchet with a philips bit in it to get the screws.  Then just unplug the module.

To get it fixed I sent the module to Module Master is Idaho.  It was about $75 to get it fixed.  I sent it out on a Friday and the next Friday when I got home from work it was waiting for me.  Put it all back together and it worked great.
Now I can stretch out and go in back and make a sandwich while the cruise does all the work  ;D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:48:15 pm by trbowgn »
Kyle O.
95 EVC 5cyl 5spd

Offline trbowgn

• View Profile
Re: Fixing the Cruise Control How To
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 12:41:31 pm »
more awesome pics (sorry I am an engineer not a photograper)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:44:29 pm by trbowgn »
Kyle O.
95 EVC 5cyl 5spd

Re: Fixing the Cruise Control How To
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 03:45:23 pm »
Any chance you could re-up these photos somewhere? Seem to have disappeared from the forum.

My '95s cruise has been dead since I bought it a year ago, hoping it just needs the Module Master treatment as well.