Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
Mfa cluster upgrade diy into eurovan? ??
« on: July 09, 2015, 02:56:12 pm »
Anyone know of a good diy ???
Plz post links here

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
Re: Mfa cluster upgrade diy into eurovan? ??
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 07:31:51 am »
I called derek from chubs auto and he is building me a b4 cluster. ..  he said there is a guy in Texas who can help make a MK4 cluster work in my 97 eurovan
Anyone know who this is??,

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 09:01:13 am »
Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Are you using a B4 or MK4 cluster? I used a B4 cluster with MFA when I swapped in the TDI.

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 10:13:04 am »
I'll use a b4 cluster til I figure out who can help me make this mk4 blue clock work and fit in my eurovan

Offline rcowan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 04:26:18 pm »
Gotcha! I'm zero help with that. Sorry.  :)

The B4 is pretty plug/play. I had to add a couple wires from the fusebox to the cluster plug to carry the signals from the sensors VW didn't include in the EV.

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 12:34:11 am »
The Passat B4 cluster is pretty much plugnplay with the early T4a models (93-96 in NA).  However the U.S. B4 clusters are all fully electronic, whereas the T4a models use a cable drive for the speedo/odo.  This makes the B4 cluster the Provence for engine conversions that require this electronic VSS like a TDI.  Although the fanatical (ie adventurous) could certainly install an electronic VSS on their trans, ditch the antiquated cable and utilize the electronic B4 speedo/odo and have a cool lil sleeper mod.

The later T4b models (97-03 in NA) have a redesigned dash and utilize the next generation cluster, very similar to an A4 Jetta but the T4 one has different mounting tabs so A4 fitment into a T4 would require some custom work.

Fitting a B4 cluster into a later T4b would not be easily possible due to the redesign of the dash and inherent space limitations.  Also cluster wiring would be a minor nightmare as the plugs are different and all 22-28 wires that go from the fuse block to the cluster are all the same color: white.

Justin

2000 EVW 5-spd TDI
Justin
2000 EVW 1.9l TDI 5spd Syncro

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 01:03:55 am »
Hey justin I have a 97 which is a t4b.  Which mfa cluster do you recommend that would be the easiest for my application.  I did install the electronic vss to accomodate my tdi swap

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 05:42:38 am »
Post a pic of your stock cluster/dash so this can be verified, but I think either an A4 Jetta/Golf MFA cluster  (not sure if the TDI models there in NA came with an MFA option, so u might be limitedor a T4 MFA cluster from a 97+ euro 2.5l TDI. These clusters can be adj via VCDS (instrument adaptation) for 4 or 5 cyl eng tach signal. These are very expensive btw, 400€+.

Justin

2000 EVW 5-spd TDI
Justin
2000 EVW 1.9l TDI 5spd Syncro

Offline gerwazy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 08:55:44 pm »
Anyone know of a good diy ???
Plz post links here
One of the projects I want to complete soon, already have an euro spec cluster, the stalk and wiring, just need to install it all...

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 04:17:02 am »
I have purchased my mfa tdi cluster from derek aka chubs auto in il.  It was a good deal and he preprogrammed it
I'm still awaiting my mfa wire harness and wiper stalk with mfa switch to begin the install. 

Offline gerwazy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 05:03:50 am »
I have purchased my mfa tdi cluster from derek aka chubs auto in il.  It was a good deal and he preprogrammed it
I'm still awaiting my mfa wire harness and wiper stalk with mfa switch to begin the install.
So you are using a TDI cluster in a gas van? Or is yours a TDI also? Can you PM me his info in case mine needs to be reprogrammed...
Thanks.

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 05:05:03 am »
I'm doing  a afn motor swap

Offline sanfranman

• Be Square and Be There!
    • View Profile
    • Westphalia Weekend
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 02:50:11 pm »
Have you finished up with the swap?  How did it go?   Did you use the ECU and instrument cluster from a donor A4 Golf or Jetta?   I'm just getting started on the swap process for my 2003 EVWK and am looking for the right donor candidate.   

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 03:46:15 pm »
Almost done.... Cluster from Derek... And ecu from donor afn car.. I think a Euro spec golf 96

...tapped out with just a thumb