Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
Re: My 1st week with my "new" 93 Eurovan
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 08:44:47 pm »
Here are a bunch of pictures from under the Syncro.

The cross member that the Syncro rear diff mounts to is about 1/3 the way into the spare tire well. So there is no space to mount a spare tire under the van. This is one of the issues Bill and I have discussed, but without a clear answer just yet.

you can see the white body cross member right next to the syncro mount. That cross member is normally dead center of the spare tire.

[/url]

Drive shaft and center shaft support.

Center shaft support.

Rear shaft to hub.

Drive shaft coming out of the transfer box on the transmission.

Looks like a pretty straight forward system to install. (or modify to accept the Haldex)
Cole

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 08:47:50 am »
I'm not done cleaning up and painting the parts yet, but here is a little teaser of the progress.  ;)

Cole

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 09:49:52 am »
Great pictures -- thanks guys.

Cole,you mentioned that Eurovans are already setup with the channel for the driveshaft - and I see the channel under the gas tank.  But, is the difference in the rear sub frame - or is it just the wheel hub?

I think moving the spare tire to rear hatch is a good idea for all vans -- after seeing the condition of those spare tires that you repainted. Do you think if the struts were upgraded, that a tire mount could be bolted/reinforced from within onto the back door? One thing I have seen is the Gary Lee racks (made locally to me) - but man alive they are expensive! Link: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/EV/ev.htm

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 09:29:01 am »
Great pictures -- thanks guys.

Cole,you mentioned that Eurovans are already setup with the channel for the driveshaft - and I see the channel under the gas tank.  But, is the difference in the rear sub frame - or is it just the wheel hub?

I think moving the spare tire to rear hatch is a good idea for all vans -- after seeing the condition of those spare tires that you repainted. Do you think if the struts were upgraded, that a tire mount could be bolted/reinforced from within onto the back door? One thing I have seen is the Gary Lee racks (made locally to me) - but man alive they are expensive! Link: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/EV/ev.htm

I'm sure it could be done.

I built Jeeps for many years and the tailgate mounted spare tires, even in the stock size, would often destroy the tailgate. The tire bounces around just a touch on every bump in the toad and it eventually cracks the steel.

Using one of the tailgate mounted racks might help with the issue. Obviously you would need to upgrade the struts to make it work.

You will lose some visibility out the back, but not a huge deal.
Cole

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
Re: My 1st week with my "new" 93 SYNCRO Eurovan
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 12:32:21 pm »
Okay,

It's finally time to post some long overdue updates to this van.

I've had Bill's van for awhile now. First we were collecting parts. Then waiting on the body shop to filling and repaint the rusty windshield area.

This is the wind deflector that sits right above the windshield. You can see how much rust it pulled off when I pulled the deflector off.  :o

The body shop cut back the rust and filled and painted it in.

The deflector was stripped of all the crap and remounted with 3M moulding tape.

The next step was to mount the cool synthetic blue 3 window top

Unfortunately, the top was cut short, which is why this picture isn't of a fully mounted top :-\ We are waiting to hear back on a replacement.  I even had all new shiny screws for it since a few of the old ones needed to be cut out!

Finally made some room in the garage to start taking it apart.  ;)

Here is a 1993 front disc brake next to the 2001-2003 disc brake that will be replacing it.

Old disc next to new disc. The rear is also going to discs from drums so this thing should stop MUCH better.

Cole

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 01:05:42 am »
Wow - what a difference in the brakes.

FWIW -- My 02 weekender had the upper wind deflector melt off last summer, and there was rust there as well.  >:(

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 08:18:28 pm »
 The rusty nasty parts are starting to come off!! Some are taking a little extra oomph to get them free but things are starting to shape up.  ;)

Upper ball joint that I'm pretty sure is original.

The lower ball joint and shock that Bill surfed his van down the highway on. Notice the shaved off nut and ball joint post!!

When I cut open the tie rod end boots they dropped about 1/4 quart of fluid out :o You can see it all over the frame@! The joints on the tie rods were so bad they just flop freely, you can rattle them around like a party favor.

New parts starting to go on!!! 2003 brake calipers, rotors, knuckle, new upper and lower ball joints, new it rod ends, soon to be a new rack ::), Koni adjustable shocks, Steel braided brake lines!!

Cole

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2015, 01:10:42 pm »
Whew.........

I know it's been awhile since I've added any information about Bill's Syncro. He has been VERY patient while we have waited for parts and fought through a few rusty bolt and other issues.

To complicate things I ended up buying another house and had to prep my old one for rental, move into the new one, and keep work moving forward on this Syncro.

I think we are now back on track and hopefully Bill will be enjoying his Syncro soon.

Here is a shot of the rear discs and the Syncro stuff! All installed with Powerfex bushings, Koni adjustable shocks, new hardware, stainless steel lines replaced all the old rubber hoses and brand new rear parking brake lines off a 2001-2003 to work with the rear discs.

Cole

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2015, 01:12:20 pm »
Powerflex bushings on the rear control arms, front sway bar.

Cole

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2015, 01:15:56 pm »
The rear drum parking brake line is shorter and has a different fitting on it. So to make the parking brake work right you need to replace the two rear parking brake lines. These are direct bolt on and only eprequired minor adjustment to make them work perfectly. (And soaking the adjuster overnight in naval jelly to free the rust  ::))

This project has been plagued with small rust issues that have stopped progress for days at a time.

The original lines needed replacement anyway.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:17:58 pm by Cole »
Cole

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2015, 01:22:13 pm »
When I popped the steering rack boots off to swap in new tie rod ends about a pint of fluid came out. Boot and rack were totally dry on the outside!! :o Giving zero indication of a leak. Both sides did the same thing.

So.......in went a new steering rack!

Of course, when I pulled the rack out I also discovered that the steering shaft from the steering column to the rackets bad. So we had to track down a replacement. No longer available new.

Cole

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2015, 01:25:46 pm »
With the brakes and steering on and mostly sorted I spent some time adding all new AC components.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:28:18 pm by Cole »
Cole

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2015, 01:30:52 pm »
Unfortunately it wasn't smooth sailing as this line self destructed when coming off :( I stole one off my own van as a replacement since I wasn't able to source one quickly.

There is still a fault in the system somewhere as it won't accept coolant. Compressor doesn't turn on, so there must be a bad pressure switch or ?
Cole

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2015, 01:32:13 pm »
Cole

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2015, 01:33:56 pm »
These are the new 16" wheels we had to put on to clear the big brakes. You can see how the brakes fill the wheel!

These still need refinished and big tires installed!

Cole