Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
Replacing popup top seal
« on: July 31, 2015, 06:05:32 pm »
My EVC popup roof seal started to disintegrate and I've decided to replace it. The replacement seal looks different from what was on the van before.
Here's a picture of two seals, the top one (with ventilation hole) is a replacement I got:

Does anyone knows if any of these are original Winnebago seals or both are aftermarket?

Also, when I've installed replacement, it turns out to be too short...

Did I install it incorrectly? Should I try to stretch it more to cover all the roof flange? Or just use a piece of old seal to cover the opening?

-albertr

Offline BobB

• Beach camping!
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing popup top seal
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 07:43:19 am »
albertr,

I am pretty sure my seal is original - matches other EVCs I have seen.  The seal at the bottom in the photo looks like mine.  The piece that grips the top has metal in it; does yours?  Mine is also black, not grey.  At this point, just install a piece of the original in the gap and try it out.  If no leaks, then it works!

Who/where did you buy it?  What did the vendor say about length?

Who does sell an original replacement? From the Winnebago parts diagram, it is Winnebago Part #131559-01-000 ("seal-bulb-poptop") , but I do not find it in the Winnebago catalog, even though they do have other bulb seals in the catalog.  I looked up that part on Lichtsinn's site, but no luck.

Gowesty sells a replacement for about $110 and Eurocampers sells one for about $120. Eurocampers also says  it is "high quality aftermarket, original seal discontinued" and that its seal is 27ft. long.  The Eurocampers seal gets high reviews "This item works as indicated. It goes on easily by hand and without glue because it has internal metal threads that grip the fiberglass poptop. It has stayed on through multiple openings and closings this summer.

FYI - My seal, too, has a slight gap - maybe a 1/2" where they meet.  But I did notice it is installed with that gap at the front of the poptop, not the rear.  Maybe because at the front, it is protected by the cowling of the luggage rack? 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 08:49:35 am by BobB »
BobB
'99 VW EVC

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 09:45:14 am »
Bob, thanks. The bottom seal on the picture is black, and it has metal inserts. The replacement (top on the picture) is more greyish and does have metal inserts too. I'm assuming the replacement seal is aftermarket, that might explain why it was not cut to the proper length. I got it from private party sale and it didn't have any labels to identify where it was made and for what purpose.

The old seal on my van was installed with ends on the rear, so I did replacement the same way.  I guess I'll follow your advise and will cover the gap with a piece of the old seal.

-albertr
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 09:47:01 am by albertr »

Offline BobB

• Beach camping!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 11:16:46 am »
albertr

Glad to be of some help. 

I think all replacement poptop seals are aftermarket.  After reading Eurocampers description and their notation that it was aftermarket and original seal discontinued, I read GoWesty's description and noted they indicated it, too, was aftermarket   http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4107&category_id=362&category_parent_id=   . On this link is photo of the seal; does that look like yours?  FYI elsewhere on GoWesty's site, they also sell the seal by the linear foot, in case using the old seal for the gap does not work out

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2493&category_id=&category_parent_id=

BobB
'99 VW EVC

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 11:57:57 am »
It's hard to see any details on GoWesty picture, not sure whether it's the same seal or not.

-albertr

Offline Kamprknut

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 02:36:34 pm »
I purchased an exact replacement from Amazon. Verticals Bulb Seal, it had same dimensions as my factory one and as far as I can tell is identical material and design. Much less than westy, or depot.

Offline BobB

• Beach camping!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 03:24:20 pm »
Kamprknut,

Can you post link to the one you bought on Amazon, so we know exactly which one/which size?  Would be great for future reference.
BobB
'99 VW EVC

Offline albertr

• View Profile
    • my 2001 EVC
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 09:20:57 am »
Well, my replacement seal turned out to be a low quality and already started to disintegrate.
So, I'm in market for another replacement seal (hopefully better quality this time). Does anyone have a first hand experience with either Eurocamper's or GoWesty's seals? Any other options? Kamprknut  was mentioning seal on Amazon, but I was not able to find it.

-albertr