Offline BobB

• Beach camping!
    • View Profile
Ignition Wire replacement?
« on: October 20, 2015, 10:54:54 am »
My ’99 VW EVC has been getting “misfire” codes - #2 and #4 cylinders.  Has happened twice and seems to happen when I “punch it” i.e. accelerate very rapidly.  Took it to the dealer again and it seems I will need new wires, plugs and coil.  The PO replaced all of that before I bought it, but looking at the invoice, the parts were very inexpensive 3rd party so, that is probably the cause.  If I was a DIY engine guy, maybe I would replace piece by piece, but I am not, so it just makes sense to just do it all at once.

So here is my quandary - VW still offers all the parts except for ignition wire for cylinder #5. My dealer did find 2 dealers in the PNW that had original #5 wires, but would not sell them (holding them in reserve - go figure). I prefer to stay with VW parts.  So my options are:

USE VW Wires - the #6 wire is the longest and should/may work for the #5, so my dealer would order the #1,2,3,4 wires and (2) # 6 wires.  If that does not work, he can return the wires.  But if he does that, then I/we will need to find a 3rd party set.

JUST USE 3rd party set - the question is which brand?  Online I can find prices ranging from about $70 to $400+.  Brand names include Denso, Standard, Beck/Arnley, Karlyn, Bosch, and NGK.

Does anyone have experience with any of the 3rd party brands and can make a recommendation?
BobB
'99 VW EVC

Offline Farther

• Rosie, the Corgi, is my copilot
    • View Profile
Re: Ignition Wire replacement?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 11:17:46 am »
I have not checked out this venders but this may help:
http://europarts-sd.com/mfg-subcat-item.asp?cID=76&scID=327
Thanks,
~Farther

Offline BobB

• Beach camping!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 12:59:15 pm »
Farther,

Thanks for link, but I am not having any difficulty in finding a vendor, but with price range of vendors from $70 to $400, I am pretty sure the products are not all equal. 
BobB
'99 VW EVC

Offline Farther

• Rosie, the Corgi, is my copilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 01:11:38 pm »
On the site it says that they are offering the OEM stuff at competitive prices.  So it looked good to me.

Ignition Wire Set 1997-2000

Original red wires, manufactured by Bremi,  the OEM German supplier to both VW and Audi, and NOT one of the cheap Chinese knock-off parts seen of eBay and other sites.  When removing the wire set, insure that you use a proper tool, as yanking on the wires will destroy them internally.

Dealer List     $141.83
Europarts Price:   $97.92
Thanks,
~Farther

Offline BobB

• Beach camping!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 03:43:10 pm »
Oops.   Did some more research on Bremi - yes an Audi/VW OEM.  Karlyn is the distributor in US for them. 

Will wait to see if any others weigh in, but will probably go with the Bremi from Europarts; I think I  have ordered from them before.

Thank you.
BobB
'99 VW EVC

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 02:01:05 pm »
The oem wires are very high quality wires in comparison to most of the aftermarket wires. If they ohm out well there is no benefit to replacement with anything other than new oem's.

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 02:05:38 pm »
My ’99 VW EVC has been getting “misfire” codes - #2 and #4 cylinders.  Has happened twice and seems to happen when I “punch it” i.e. accelerate very rapidly.  Took it to the dealer again and it seems I will need new wires, plugs and coil.  The PO replaced all of that before I bought it, but looking at the invoice, the parts were very inexpensive 3rd party so, that is probably the cause.  If I was a DIY engine guy, maybe I would replace piece by piece, but I am not, so it just makes sense to just do it all at once.

So here is my quandary - VW still offers all the parts except for ignition wire for cylinder #5. My dealer did find 2 dealers in the PNW that had original #5 wires, but would not sell them (holding them in reserve - go figure). I prefer to stay with VW parts.  So my options are:

USE VW Wires - the #6 wire is the longest and should/may work for the #5, so my dealer would order the #1,2,3,4 wires and (2) # 6 wires.  If that does not work, he can return the wires.  But if he does that, then I/we will need to find a 3rd party set.

JUST USE 3rd party set - the question is which brand?  Online I can find prices ranging from about $70 to $400+.  Brand names include Denso, Standard, Beck/Arnley, Karlyn, Bosch, and NGK.

Does anyone have experience with any of the 3rd party brands and can make a recommendation?
I think the six is shortest, and the 1 is longest. The 5 and 1 could be interchangeable.

Offline BobB

• Beach camping!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 03:11:56 pm »
Went with the Bremi set. Came in a box marked "Karlyn / STI made in USA", but wires are stamped "made in Germany". Mechanics had no problems using them.  Everything running fine now; will see when next big trip (2016) rolls around.
BobB
'99 VW EVC