Offline trbowgn

• View Profile
Winter Camping and Skiing Colorado
« on: December 20, 2015, 06:22:28 pm »
So we have zero snow in MI and want to do some skiing so on Saturday we are going to head west.  We are bringing the EVC.
Does anyone know of any good camping spots near a good resort?  We have zero plans so far since we just decided to do this today. We have a porta potty so we can dry camp. Any ideas? We are looking for both resort and camp suggestions. It is my wife, son (7 YO grom) and myself. We are looking for a ski bumb experience.  This will be all of ours first time skiing out west and we are pumped.
Cole I know this is your backyard.
Thanks
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 07:27:09 pm by trbowgn »
Kyle O.
95 EVC 5cyl 5spd

Re: Winter Camping and Skiing Colorado
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 12:46:48 pm »
If you are heading to Winter Park or want to do some backcountry skiing, you can park at the top of the pass at Berthoud Pass.  There is a warming hut there you can use as well.  If you want a smaller resort, you could camp at the Boulder Adventure Lodge and head to Eldora to ski.  Otherwise, there is a vast amount of National Forest land where you could camp, especially between Keystone/A-Basin and Montezuma and also off of Hwy 9 between Breckenridge and Fairplay.  - Bill
Bill
1993 Syncro Weekender (5 speed Manual)

Offline trbowgn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 07:25:41 pm »
Thanks Bill
Any favorite spots?  Ever been to Crested Butte?
We enjoy boondocking but like to explore the small towns. A lot of people have said you can park overnight at A Basin. Is this still true?
Kyle O.
95 EVC 5cyl 5spd

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 09:12:34 am »
Unfortunately, A-Basin banned overnight camping from their lots years ago.  They allow camping for special events in the summer (like when the Pro Challenge bike race came through), but not in the winter.  I think Cement Creek campground is the only one open in the winter in Crested Butte.  The city gives out big fines for car camping anywhere near downtown so your best bet is to find an empty condo parking space or head to the National Forest.  Crested Butte's package deals are normally cheap to get lift tickets with lodging but that is typically if you stay there before Christmas.  - Bill
Bill
1993 Syncro Weekender (5 speed Manual)

Offline Cole

• Gear head!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 11:47:02 am »
Sorry, I missed this!

Wish winter camping at the ski areas was easier.

Did you do the trip? What did you end up doing?
Cole