Offline greggearhead

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Gear Head
Coating for the plastic entry wells?
« on: July 22, 2016, 09:27:30 pm »
So, this 2002 Westy has grey plastic door entry wells.  I'm cleaning them up, but they have some chalky-whiteness due to the age and wear. 

Has anyone tried bedliner on those and did it hold up/stay adhered? 

Offline Itsamoto

• View Profile
Re: Coating for the plastic entry wells?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 10:59:39 pm »
I'm interested in a solution for this too. I'm weary of painting plastic interior parts -- I have seen examples of these parts painted black and the paint was peeling off making it look worse. My preference is to find a set of the black front footwells from an early van (or a Winnebago) and use them instead.

Offline IdeaNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 05:32:39 pm »
I'm dealing with this too, on our sliding door sill (though, oddly, not the front door sills). It's on my list to figure out how best to approach (i.e. paint, buy replacement part, create a new alternative part, etc.).

Our sill also has some adhesive or similar spilled on it, which fills in some of the pattern in the step area, so it will likely look funny if I paint it. I'm probably going to try anyway, just to learn some things about the toughness of a few of the plastic paints that I have.

That said, that sill is on my "long list" to remake in some hard, rubber-like material. We'll see.

Meanwhile: does anybody know if any of these sills (side door, front-left door or front-right door) are still available as new parts?

Bill
1993 Syncro Weekender (5 speed Manual)

Offline IdeaNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 11:16:28 am »
Thanks Bill -- very helpful!

Offline robinson1509

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 09:20:55 pm »
The chalky whiteness can be removed with a heat gun. I find a good scrub with lacquer thinner and a nylon brush usually does the job. The black footwear do look sharp. I have been looking for a black rubber oem cab carpet, a lot of the European  t4's have rubber mats and black footwells.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 09:23:37 pm by robinson1509 »

Offline filmshoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 07:26:58 pm »
I'm sorry to report this..
I contacted veedub, here is their response

"
Thank you for your email, Unfortunately we only ship to Uk mainland, However if you know a uk address that you can have the items shipped to you can then arrange a courier of your own to make the delivery.

Kind Regards

Ollie Stimpson
Customer Services"

Maybe we can all ask veedub and they will start shipping to USA
I too am looking for a black graphite side step.  They are nla from Vw.

If u find a set let me know.
I would like to buy some as well.

701863735A

just 2 thumbs, beware typos