Offline greggearhead

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Gear Head
Subwoofer placement?
« on: September 19, 2018, 08:35:07 am »
So, I picked up a 2002 EV to use as a shop van.  Great shape for that intended use, has an upgraded head unit (good enough for me), and new speakers on the way from Crutchfield.  However, I would like to install a small subwoofer, but not like to take up too much space. 

I put one of those low profile ones in my E250 that Vanagon guys put under the front seats, but I don't think they will fit under the EV seat bases.  I could build one inside the seat base as an enclosure, but I'm looking for quick and easy here.  Think 'better' sound, not 'awesome' sound. 

My other passing thought was to bolt it to the back of the front passenger seat base, but not sure about that.  With swivels, it might get in the way. 

Offline MURSO74

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Re: Subwoofer placement?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 07:24:58 pm »
I'm really surprised there's nothing that goes under the dash where the cupholders are.  Seems like you could for a decent size enclosure there and maybe even move the cup holders up where they're useful

Offline wollbs

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 01:58:03 pm »
I fit one easily under the passenger seat of my 99 mv. It was a powered 8” unit, all in one, the whole thing is 3”. i powered it off the house battery, so i can run it while camping.

Rockville RW8CA 8" 600 Watt Low Profile Under-Seat Active Powered Car Subwoofer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019Z3RFGY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RAIsCb67H821D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Design is where art and science break even.

Offline wollbs

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 01:58:20 pm »
3” tall

Offline MURSO74

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 12:11:21 pm »
I fit one easily under the passenger seat of my 99 mv. It was a powered 8” unit, all in one, the whole thing is 3”. i powered it off the house battery, so i can run it while camping.

Rockville RW8CA 8" 600 Watt Low Profile Under-Seat Active Powered Car Subwoofer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019Z3RFGY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RAIsCb67H821D

what advantage is there by powering off the house battery, other than ease of wiring?  it seems like a- the amp may drain the house battery even when not in use and b- unless the radio is also powered by the house battery you wouldn't be able to use the sub anyway?

Offline wollbs

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 03:21:34 pm »
The advantage is twofold. 1) if you wire your stereo to the house battery, you can use them both when the van is parked and off. 2) if you wire the stereo to ignition battery (because it is stock configuration and I dont have to turn off the stereo when i turn off the van)and amp to house battery (which is super easy wiring being under the other seat) you wont drain your starter battery as much when you run the stereo when the van is parked and off. I chose option 2.

Offline MURSO74

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 11:39:27 am »
gotcha... i  thought only the sub was hooked up to the house battery.  having the whole stereo makes much more sense