Offline PetrolFox

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Need Help lifting Pop Top with Roof Rack + Thule Roof Box
« on: September 28, 2018, 10:06:43 pm »
We just purchased our dream transporter (2001 Eurovan Weekender MV) this past December and have slowly been making it our own.
I just found this site and have not stopped reading for several hours. Please forgive me if this has already been covered but...

I'm having a really hard time (relatively fit 6'5" guy) getting the top up with the yakima rails and the thule atlantis 1800 top box mounted on there.

1.) Is it possible the original struts need to be replaced? What are they stock rated for in terms of lbs?

2.) Where can I find struts that will be stronger and help me lift the top. I've been searching and my next move will be removing the struts one at a time, testing them and taking all the measurements needed. I did find the this catalog http://www.lavanture.com/pdfs/GasSpringCatalogMar2010.pdf where it seems I would be able to find what I need.

Am I being stupid and loading the top with too much weight?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated
~cheers

pic of our rig attached

Offline tdragomir

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help lifting Pop Top with Roof Rack + Thule Roof Box
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 12:16:22 pm »
We just purchased our dream transporter (2001 Eurovan Weekender MV) this past December and have slowly been making it our own.
I just found this site and have not stopped reading for several hours. Please forgive me if this has already been covered but...

I'm having a really hard time (relatively fit 6'5" guy) getting the top up with the yakima rails and the thule atlantis 1800 top box mounted on there.

1.) Is it possible the original struts need to be replaced? What are they stock rated for in terms of lbs?

2.) Where can I find struts that will be stronger and help me lift the top. I've been searching and my next move will be removing the struts one at a time, testing them and taking all the measurements needed. I did find the this catalog http://www.lavanture.com/pdfs/GasSpringCatalogMar2010.pdf where it seems I would be able to find what I need.

Am I being stupid and loading the top with too much weight?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated
~cheers

pic of our rig attached

Really nice looking rig, I’m sure you have seen it but there are struts available and info at Go Westy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline PetrolFox

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 06:47:49 pm »
Thank you! I have looked at GoWesty parts and articles. It seems though that they only have stock pressure parts.
PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.
I went as far as to call GoWesty at one point to ask if the lift helpers for the vanagon could be adapted to help the loaded EV MV Weekender top.
Response was a simple no. Perhaps I caught them before coffee. I'll continue searching.

Offline AKVAN

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 10:32:21 am »
I've had the same problem with a Yakima box (located as far back on the rails as reasonable - similar to your install). My temporary fix is to unload box and lift with a lot of effort. I looked through the catalog that you linked and couldn't find a strut with the locking collar. It may be possible to mount one or two additional struts (paralleling the original(s) or just replace the non-locking side with a higher pressure strut.

Offline JoshWa

• Wrench fumbler
    • View Profile
    • TDI conversion
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 11:12:43 pm »

Offline bob82pigdog

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile

Offline bblume

• Camps in backyard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 04:13:48 pm »
You could try the part numbers listed in this samba post for 120psi struts.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=696747&highlight=lift+struts&sid=6bb2f926f4b4ae23499d5a55b07d85ae

Necro bump....

Any idea as to whether the weekender and evc struts are the same.  I was about to order the struts from the thread on samba, but I was wondering if anyone had real-world experience between the two models.